What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Around the world

AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I just finish my RV-8 and "Official Maiden" will be on February 22nd, I will let you know how she flies:D

OK, now my wife and me (She is a pilot too) are thinking on the next project and we are very excited about the idea to build a RV-10 to fly around the world and be the first Chileans to do it.

So you RV-10 Builders/Pilots, how many gallons do you think this plane could carry?. We will like to have 20 hours endurance and be able to carry our staff during the trip.

One more thing we want to make the trip as fast as we can, no more than two month, we have a little boy that will be waiting at home and we do not want to be far away from him for too long.

Happy flying!!!

I don't think anybody has flown an RV-10 around the world yet. Staff? 20 hours endurance is at least 200 gallons. Not going to get that and anything else in the plane.

Hi Fernando,

My girlfriend and I would like to someday fly around the world with our motorcycle... kind of a grand "Motorcycle Diaries" adventure. We'd use the RV-10 to hop from one country to the next, but the motorcycle would allow us to explore all the wonderful places along the way.

With two people aboard + luggage, the RV-10 won't carry much more than 50 gallons of extra fuel. However, with a total of 110 gallons, it would be possible to fly for nearly 10 hours.

SafeAir makes wingtip tanks that hold about 15 gallons total. We make removable belly pods and we're thinking about developing a fuel cell kit for them. The pods can accomodate up to 50 gallons... or 40 gallons and a pair of bicycles.

There is a kiwi fellow about to do it in his -10 in the next few months I believe!

We added tip tanks and have 280L which is 6 plus reserves.

You could make a few more tanks for ferry flights but the weight will add up quick!

Hi Folks,

So you RV-10 Builders/Pilots, how many gallons do you think this plane could carry?.

As a slightly related bit of info Jon Johanson told me he had over 1000litres in his RV-4 when he attempted a direct Australia to South America via South Geographic pole.
Apparently he had converted/built a wet wing.
John

As a slightly related bit of info Jon Johanson told me he had over 1000litres in his RV-4 when he attempted a direct Australia to South America via South Geographic pole.
Apparently he had converted/built a wet wing.
John

There are 3.79 liters in a gallon,that = 266 gallons, 1,595 pounds of fuel.

Jon Johanson has flown is -4 around the world a couple of times I belive.

There is a kiwi fellow about to do it in his -10 in the next few months I believe!

We added tip tanks and have 280L which is 6 plus reserves.

You could make a few more tanks for ferry flights but the weight will add up quick!

Are you running LOP? Seems to me you could stretch that 6 hours into 7+. Granted you are not running as fast as ROP, but the economy of LOP would stretch out the range.

Last edited:
So you RV-10 Builders/Pilots, how many gallons do you think this plane could carry?. We will like to have 20 hours endurance and be able to carry our staff during the trip.

Fernando,
I think you don't have the right kitplane in mind. Have you looked at the Comp Air line of kitplanes? They are closer to what you need, albeit a very expensive engine.
John

Hi Folks,

I just finish my RV-8 and "Official Maiden" will be on February 22nd, I will let you know how she flies:D

OK, now my wife and me (She is a pilot too) are thinking on the next project and we are very excited about the idea to build a RV-10 to fly around the world and be the first Chileans to do it.

One more thing we want to make the trip as fast as we can, no more than two month, we have a little boy that will be waiting at home and we do not want to be far away from him for too long.

Happy flying!!!
Fernando,

Sounds like you solved your problems with the local bureaucrats to let you fly. That is great news and best of luck on your first flight!

You might want to look at the Raven 500. With the same engine as the -10 it will fly 2,278 miles at 75% power and it will go 2,531 miles at 65% power.

Best of luck on both adventures!

Many folk have ellected to have their MTOW at 2900lbs or 1315kg. We did.

You can hardly notice the difference. Stall and general airspeed numbers vary by about 2 knots.

I have tested over that number and to be honest you would hardly notice.

As for structural issues I think after 3000lbs you are pushing into an area with greatly reduced margins and thats not for me!

DB :)

Back