What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 and Skyview AP

Yes we are. We had issues with the pitch servo slipping. After waiting almost a year due to trying to get them (several different models) to work and waiting for the SV-42T , we are seeing good indications with the linear SV-42T. I say this for several reasons one, we have never used an auto pilot before so don't know what to expect. Two , with no AP experience we don't have the know how to go about setting it up. Three , we only recieved and installed the SV-42T servo late last flying season and only made a few flights with in default settings. There was a huge inprovement with this servo as the AP did not slip on the two flights that were made. I am very optimistic that our AP will control the RV-10 very well once set up properly, it's doing a fine job with the default settings.
Sorry I cannot help out more with my limited experience with AP.
Ron

Sky view or classic panel, if you have a -10 fit the SV42T.

We have tested the "T" version ( well beta test versions ) for about 450 hours over the last 18 months, and they are essential on pitch.

Similar servo linkage to the TruTrak, but mechanically safer and superior. Yep I tested that too;)

Another excellent development by Dynon. :)

After hand flying my 40 hours of phase 1 without the servos, i sure am happy to have the servos. Plane was wired for it, but I just had not gotten around to buying them yet. I had bought trutrak servos during my build, which was a mistake. Learned my lesson to NEVER buy avionics early.

My observations thus far are:
The pitch with SV42T works well with default settings.
I am trying to recall but i had to adjust the sensitivity higher for the roll servo. The servo would continuously bank the plane left and right to hold a track with default settings. I believe the default sensitivity was 10, and i think i settled on 12 or 14 or so for the best setting. Too high a setting would cause jerky roll inputs which passengers could even feel. The slip force is a little lighter on the roll servo than pitch. It would be nice if both were the same, but that is a minor nitpick.

Just one other point, the ROLL servo really needs to be a SV52 and set to 90% torque.

You could use the SV42 but in IMC, and with an upset, while you are for just a moment checking a chart or flight plan, or changing frequencies, programming an approach....you get the idea, what do you think happens?

The upset rolls the aircraft and then the servo struggles against it, you look back and the horizon is not where you left it. Worse still if you have the pitch disconnected on descent:eek:

The optimum for an RV10 is SV52 on ROLL and the SV42T on pitch.

Back