What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 and Garmin G3X Magnetometer installation

rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
:confused: Hi ?RV10? owners, I just received my Garmin G3X package and was wondering if you?re also using the same/equivalent equipment.
Could I get some personal feedback on where you installed your GMU 22 Magnetometer? And did you have any issues with calibration?
I would like to install it in the tail but am concerned with the elevator trim motor in the general area. :confused:
Thanks for your feedback.
Rvator

Per SteinAir's recommendation, I put mine in the tailcone using the mount they sold me. It was recommended to swap out the longeron seat belt bracket bolts with SS ones. I have not calibrated my magnetometer yet so no PIREP

I think the tail will work fine. My GMU-44 is going in the wingtip (Garmin 900X, not the G3X) mainly because an RV-10 in Sedona had a lot of difficulty passing the certification due to the elevator horns and rudder cables. They ended up having to de-gauss the cables. Moot point because Garmin no longer requires the post-installation for the 900X (and never required it for the G3X as far as I know). From what I have heard, the Garmin certification is way more restrictive than it needs to be for our purposes.

Oh, I talked this over with Stein and Aerotronics both (Stein was nice enough to contribute a mounting bracket for the wing location; many thanks!) and the consensus was that the trim motors are not an issue; ferrous material is much more of a problem.

Mine is above the static ports on a cross member I built. I replaced my SS cables with new ones since the originals were magnetic from the factory. I also replaced the longeron bolts and seat belt bolts with structural stainless. Mine passed first time I ran the post install test. I wouldn't/didn't install mine next to the trim motor.
My G3X has the GMU44 so not sure what has changed. The list Garmin gives you is really specific with what they need for location. I thought the only way to successfully install it would be to hang it from a wood pole 8 feet from the airplane. I later realized it's a priority list and to do your best.

Mine is installed the same as Sean's and passes the test without any issues. Stein can sell you the bracket.

IMG_1974.jpg

Wing Tip Works Too

We recently put the Magnetometer in the wing tip on an 8. It's a little tighter in there. The 8 had similar lighting to a 10. Originally someone had left a small coil of wire coming off of the lights. That created enough EMI for the magnetometer to fail it's tests dramatically. However, we straightened that out and it passed no problem. Definitely run the wires separately.

Back