What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Air conditioning

woxofswa

Well Known Member
Living in AZ, I am committed to installing A/C. I have a few questions for the brain trust.

When would be the right time to order the A/C kit? I have just finished the tailcone and am starting the tailfeather attachment process. I haven't seen any of the A/C units. Is it best to pre-install the A/C before attaching the tailcone to the fuselage? Are there A/C considerations concerning QB or SB fuselage kits?

Any comments pro or con on the available A/C units would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

RV-10 A/C

I am installing the Flightline AC air conditioning system. I installed the tailcone belly louvers prior to mating the tailcone and fuselage. Other than that, you will probably want the tailcone and fuselage mated for the rest of the installation. I have found the kit to be very well made and complete. The instructions are lacking a bit, but response from John Strain is always very fast and helpful.

AC Controller

Myron,

We are currently developing an air conditioning controller (in conjunction with Flightline AC) that allows you to 'set and forget' the cabin temperature and also gives you a lot more status information on the AC system that a conventional system. More details here: http://www.verticalpower.com/climate_control.html

David,
Thanks for the info. On those louvers, do they go in the tailcone floor or fuselage? How are they installed?
A/C in Minnesota, I like it! (Although I heard that last year summer in MN was on a Tuesday)

Marc,
Interesting, but I can't make my RV too much more advanced and capable than the Boeing or else I will hate my profession, and I really can't stand the thought of getting a job. How much is that voodoo going to cost?

AC

Myron,

The louvers are installed through the tailcone floor. If you like, I can send you some photo's via email.

BTW, I am also installing Marc's VP system.

As for Minnesota, Me, my wife, the cats, and the airplane will be residents of Florida before the year is out! No more MN winters for us.

I'm getting close on ordering the AC kit. I spoke to both Flightline and Airflow today. They both make compelling arguments. They both say the accuracy overhead doesn't fit well. I could still go either way, but as of this moment I am leaning towards the Airflow. I actually like the looks of the scoop(if you're gonna spend the money, why not show it off), I also like that of is lighter and gives better access to tailcone inspection. I am also concerned about added noise from the inboard fan of the flightline, and the higher draw. It is nice that the RV10 draws enough respect that there are plenty of extra-market options for accessories and upgrades.
Any comments or suggestions appreciated. This forum is invaluable.

Back