What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 4 blade propeller available

RVjim

Well Known Member
MT Propeller has designed a 4 blade propeller for the IO-540 engine on the RVseries aircraft.

This propeller and spinner assembly weighs about 54 pounds.

It uses the same basic blade shape as that used on the MT 3 blade propellers for the Lyc. 360 engine on the RV series aircraft.

If you've noticed the discussion in the flight test forum, you can see the significance of a 4 blade propeller and relative aircraft vibration levels.

Jim Ayers

RV-10 4 blade prop

I am a fan of Jim Ayers. Bought my 3 blade MT prop from him and am really happy with the prop. Having said that, if you have an RV-10 under construction you DO NOT want a 4 blade prop. Taking the bottom cowl on and off with a 3 blade prop is a two man job even after adding a removable access plate to the bottom of the cowl. With a 4 blade prop you might have to change the air intake scoop to make it totally removable.

Sorry Jim, but I would hate to see an RV-10 builder not have a complete picture.

RV-10 cowl & 3 or 4 blade propeller

Hi Russ,

I guess I'm a little slow in understanding maintainability on pre-punch or quick built RV's. Probably because the plans for my RV-3 serial number 50 didn't show anything in front of the engine mount.

I do understand your concern about removing the cowl with a 3 or 4 blade propeller. I bought a "flying" RV-6A. Sometimes I have a 2 blade propeller on it, and sometimes a 3 blade propeller.

If you plan for the cowl to drop straight down, it helps immensely. And the nose gear does get in the way to do this.

I have one of the MT counterweighted 4 blade propellers for my Less Drag Special. By sliding the fuselage/gear leg fairings out of the way I can drop the lower cowl straight down.

There is a F-1 Rocket being built that has the 4 blade propeller. The F-1 cowl is designed so the lower air intake fairing on the cowl is removable, so that cowl can be removed straight down.

I have seem longer gear leg openings in the lower cowl with a hinged door that is fastened after the cowl is in place on Van's RV A model aircraft.

I'm know there are some very creative people in this group that have already dealt with this issue. Perhaps they can share their solution.

Jim Ayers
RV-3 sn 50 built & flying
RV-6A sn 21873 bought, rebuilt & flying
Less Drag Special sn 1 (looks similar to a HR2 w/o external antennas)

You will need a very long cowling slot for the gear leg on a -10 to be able to drop the cowling straight down with a 4 blade prop. Almost a 2 piece. The gear leg is at a very low angle on these compared to other A models.

I've always thought 3 blade props look the best anyway.

Cruise Altitudes - 3 vs 4 blades

I'm putting a 4 blade propeller on my Less Drag Special. I normally cruise between 14,500 and 17,500 feet when the tail winds are favorable.

With the typical Lycoming engines in the RV's, the 3 blade propeller is better for cruising at altitudes between 8,000 to 12,000 feet.

And, Lycoming saye the peak torque on their engines occurs at 2200 RPM.

One of the RV-10 pilots at Oshkosh who normally cruises with full throttle at 2350 RPM flew home trying full throttle and 2200 RPM. He reported no change in airspeed. However, fuel flow was reduced by 5 gph.
Perhaps something to check out during Phase I testing. Although sometime soon wouldn't be too bad, either.

Jim Ayers

Jim,

Stop by the RV-10 HQ at OSH and share your experiences on this new prop. We generally have two or three dinners during the week and plently of cold beverages at other times.

You have an audience of dozen's of RV-10 builders.

bob

Oshkosh schedule

Jim,

Stop by the RV-10 HQ at OSH and share your experiences on this new prop. We generally have two or three dinners during the week and plently of cold beverages at other times.

You have an audience of dozen's of RV-10 builders.

bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer. I'll be at Oshkosh Monday through Friday.
Where is the RV-10 HQ at OSH this year?

One of my friends will be along. He is an instructor at the National Test Pilots School in Mojave, CA. He is an interesting person to talk with, also.
We are both trying to make the best use of the IO-540 engine in a small two place aircraft.

I normally wander around the aircraft and vendors at OSH during the week. However, I should be available anytime during the day by my cellphone, 805-795-5377.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

Back