What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running a (I)O-360 B2C?

Loman

Well Known Member
I am considering the purchase of an O-360 B2C for my RV-9. At 168 HP it is not much outside the published power range for the 9.

I like the fact that it can burn low octane fuel and can run a CS prop. The slight extra weight over a 320 helps with W&B and earns it's keep - unlike a crush plate ballast alternative. The equivalent 320, an E1A, is a rarity (only fitted to Grob 115s), so hard to come by.

Our homebuilt regulatory authority here in Ireland have not ruled it out but are looking for evidence of flying examples. I would be grateful to hear from pilots who are flying behind this variant, especially in a RV-9(A). I already know through searching the forum, of one pilot (Duane) who has one.

Please either PM me or post a reply here.

Loman,
The O-360-B2C is really no more then just an O-360-A1A with low compression P/N 75411 pistons installed. They shouldn't need to know much more then that to allow it. If they won't, you could install 8.5:1 P/N 75089 pistons and convert it to an O-360-A1A. I know there are many -9's flying with that engine and getting flying examples of RV-9 with the O-360- A1A should be a lot easier.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Loman,

I'm running the ECi equivalent of an O-360-A1A in my RV-9 with no issues.

See if you can pick up copies of the 2011 August, September, and October issues of KitPlanes. I did a three part series on replacing the O-290 with the above listed engine, including W&B, climb, and cruise numbers. (You can sign up on their web site and down load them.)

What it comes down to is controlling weight, same as when installing an O-320. The rest is minor stuff.

There are a number of O-360 powered RV-9's and -9A's flying here in the States, so finding examples shouldn't be an issue. Feel free to contact me off list for details. [bill (at) repucci (dot) com]

BTW, the -A1A can run premium auto gas or you can order it with low compression pistons, your choice.

Back