What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Wiring

PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of wiring and have a question. I've done some searching and haven't had much luck.
I'm trying to figure out the best method of getting the wires for the strobe and tail light
through the spar on the vertical stab.
It seems the best location would be exactly in the center of the VS Spar, just below the bottom hinge brackets for the rudder.
The problem there is with the "A" models. The hole would have to go through the tie down bracket also, which is pretty thick, though hollow. It seems like it will take at least a 7/16' hole for a bushing to accomodate the wires. Is this the best way or is there a better
one?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Strobe wires

I ran into this problem too this weekend. Had problems with the routing of wires to the bottom of the rudder. Where do you put the connector. When the rudder is moved the wires restrict or if left loose risk jamming the controls. I would like to see how others have done it.

I ran my wires through the aft bulkhead just below the horizontal stabilizer, then straight down to just below the lower rudder hinge. Then took the wires to the rudder from there. The wires are grouped just tight enough to avoid entanglement but loose enough to allow twisting. This way the twisting movement is distributed over several inches of the wires.

Second what Mel said. I ran my wires into the tail through the gap between the rudder spar and bottom fiberglass fairing; caterpillar grommet on the edges of fairing and spar to prevent rubbing abrasion. The connector is inside the fairing with enough loop that I can take it out the rear to remove the tail light (mine has no strobe but I would have done the strobe the same) and there's enough gap at the front of the fairing to then pull the wire and connect forward so the rudder can be removed.

Had the same issue

So I sent a note to the mothership...and Scott came back with "Keep the wiring low on the 711 and 712 bulkheads. It's best to penetrate the bulkheads low so as not to interfere with rudder cables or elevator pushrod. A small hole with a snap bushing or grommet is adequate. Penetrate the 712 bulkhead below the bottom rudder hinge bracket, leave adequate slack in the wire between the 712 and the rudder to acommodate rudder travel without tensioning the wires and penetrate the forward surface of the fiberglass rudder cap...again, using a snap bushing or grommet."

So that's what I done, hope that helps

Back