What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trim

Rick S.

Well Known Member
I wanted to toss this out for some feedback. I installed electric rudder trim on my -10, I use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the right trim throw on any given flight. I have yet to use any left trim My training habits always makes me center the trim for take off (as I do for roll and pitch) which is no big deal because my feet are working the pedals on the take off roll and through the climb to pattern altitude where I level off to depart the airspace and start trimming the aircraft.

Here's the question. Would you put a rudder wedge on the aircraft so the trim tab could be centered most of the time, only using the electric trim to adjust for crosswinds during cruise or long climbouts and decents?

I wouldn't. I'd just consider the rudder trim to be in an out of the way place like some Pipers and forget setting to neutral. My 6A first had a wedge, and now a fixed tab, since it requires lot's of right rudder in cruise. The 6 has no offset built into the vertical stab, as some other models do.

I kind of wish I had an electric powered rudder trim myself. The fixed tab is good for my usual cruise speeds, but not all. So basically, your "un-straight" tab is no different than my fixed tab that's always at an angle to the rudder.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I don't think I would add a fixed tab. You are correct that long climbs and descents are where you will primarily use your rudder trim. Crosswinds on cross country trips have no bearing on rudder trim. You will simply be trimming the rudder for neutral at the cruise setting you are using for that flight.
This is the first light aircraft I have flown with rudder trim and I really like it.

I have a wedge...

...on my -10. The ball was half off and needed a lot of right leg all the time. Why, I don't know. The -10 needs waaaay less rudder input than my -6 on takeoff and climbs, since I usually cruise/climb around 145-150 MPH, which negates the need for much rudder. Only a little left is needed for descents and I've found just touching the left pedal is enough.

Best,

Rick as you mentioned to me earlier that you have the same rudder trim system that I do. I carry about .375 to .5 of right rudder trim in mine all the time. I do adjust it a little here and there to adjust the ball. I do not change for takeoff. I leave it were it was set the prior flight. As you know with the
Rv-10 you need right rudder on take off and the trim will just decrease the amount you will need a little bit under full power takeoff and climb. I do love the trim. It works very good.

Geoff

Rudder Trim -10

Pierre - I am building a -10 and have been trying to decide on rudder trim. I've gotten conflicting advice but am curious about your experience with your new plane. You say you have a wedge - was that something you added? Would you recommend electric rudder trim based on your experience with the -10? Any advice would be appreciated.

Back