What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trim wiring run location?

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Newbie question-

Getting set to rivet up the rudder, with the electric rudder trim mod in place (like Vic's but straight to airflow like Phil's). Put my servo one rib above the middle hinge point.

Question is, I can't see where to best run the wiring. I assume I should put something in place now prior to riveting it all up, seems easiest. What's the best wire routing? Put a hole in the VS web near the hinge point with a grommet? Seems like the HS will be in the way then. Run it down through the rudder to the bottom of the VS (and therefore the bottom of the fuse where the lines will probably be), then across the gap? Does it need to be near the hinge points?

I've already riveted up the VS, so that makes it a bit tougher to get access. Can't see any wiring on the pictures posted by various folks I could find...

Thx,
Dwight

My plane has the trim wiring running with the light/strobe wires.

No need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

Oh yeah...

Ahh, that's right. So just run it to the bottom of the rudder for now. Should've seen that one...

Thanks.

Mike
We are just getting started on our tail kit and would like to know just where it is you run the tail light wires? Directions might be in the tail/emp instructions but haven't seen them so far.
Thanks Ron

Rudder wiring

I found if you run the wiring at the bottom of the rudder fairing, you end up trying to run straight through the tail tie down bracket. A little too thick of material for my liking. I moved up to the first lightening hole on the aft bulkhead and cut a slot in the rudder leading edge to the same dimensions of the trim cable slots in the elevators. I also installed a small bracket to attach the cable and hold it to the center of the slot for anti-chaff clearance. Granted, the only wiring I will run there is the taillight/strobe cable.

Fuse wiring run

Ron,

If you were asking about forward from the tail, read a post earlier about running the wiring along the J-section longerons down the fuse (think they're F-1047's). Just had to drill a small hole for the tie-wrap every 6-inches or so, plus do a good job of deburring. Can't find the post now, even had a nice picture, can't remember the original post subject.

Dwight

I was actually asking from the rudder to tailcone, at this point. We just don't want to get too far along and not be able to get a gromet or conduit in place.
Thanks

Back