What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim Tab Attachment - How?

JohnF

Well Known Member
I have an aluminum trim tab taped to the rudder that is just right to center the 'ball' and need to permanently attach it. The rudder is pretty 'thin' at the rear so I am not sure I want to try rivets...was thinking of ProSeal and lightly clamping it until the goop dries...double-sided tape does not seem like a long-term fix either.....your ideas?

Tab

I have answered my own question; I found a tape called Loctite Power Grab that REALLY holds. Its water proof and UV resistant. I used it to tape a large washer onto a scrap of aluminum and I can't remove it with my hands (am I am reasonably strong) It costs around $6 and even Wal-Mart carries it...it looks red, but that's only the backing...the tape itself is clear. If you try it be sure you want the tab where you put it because this tape is NOT easy to remove.

RTV the wedge

I used the plastic rudder trim wedge from Avery . Used red RTV and have had no problem with it staying in place. I originally used the RTV thinking it would need to be adjusted but 200 hours later have never tried to remove it.

attaching a trim wedge

The recommendation I received from someone who is a repeat builder/EAA tech counselor and runs a builder's assistance center is to use Pro-Seal or equivalent once I was certain how much wedge was needed. In the interim, we have been using 3M double-sided tape and also then placing high quality aluminum foil tape over the top. Perhaps the Pro-Seal is overkill for the RV-12 given the slower speeds but I know he was very hesistant to rely on tape only.

Jeff

Back in the day, the company I worked for had a few supersonic jets that they did testing on. They'd run the instrumentation wires externally and taped them down with armament tape, much like gaffer's tape or a high quality duct tape.

The rule was that if the test flight was to go supersonic, we'd have to epoxy the edges of the tape down. But it wasn't necessary for subsonic flight.

Back