What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim system, looks good, has anyone tried it

I have the adjustable rudder trim on my plane and it does what it says. Here is my HO. I find that since it was installed I haven't adjusted my rudder one time. When I'm in cruise, the ball stays in the center at all speeds so no adjustment is necessary. I only use right rudder at takeoff in a climb. I also found that unless the trim knob was adjusted really tight, it wouldn't stay where I put it and I had to readjust constantly. My other 2 RV6's had a little wood trim tab attached to the bottom edge of the rudder and worked just as well. A friend of mine offset the rudder to accomodate the same effect and that too worked perfectly for all cruise flight. Of course that meant making a new tailcone fairing but he felt it was worth the effort. All in all, I would not purchase another system as it adds weight and once adjusted, I forget that I even have it on the plane.

Bought ours quite awhile back and works as advertised. Unlike above it is always getting adjusted cause of the different flying speeds we were doing. We even put on stiffer springs. But as above it needed to be tightened down so it would stay in place.

Back