What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trim - or not?

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
We have started with the rudder now and I am trying to make up my mind on the rudder trim. I would love some input on this.
Is it really needed or just a luxury?

Rudder trim

Jan, I have put adjustable rudder trim on my last 2 RV's, having had the fixed trim on the first 2. It depends on the type of flying you do. If it's primarily at one altitude/speed, then a fixed trim will work fine. If do a lot of cross-country, and you fly high and on autopilot, it is really nice to be able to completely trim the airplane for climb, cruise, and descent. I really like seeing the airplane completely trimmed in all 3 axis while in cruise, especially when IMC.
Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and want it. :)

Vic

Do it

Jan,

I would do it now, it takes a bit of extra work, but you will be happy later

Pete Sanchez
N615PS
RV-10

I would install a small tab while assembling, a small fixed tab is cheap and easy to adjust. Once set for the cruise its all you need.

I see some have made electric rudder trim units however this is nice but a lot of work.

For me a small fixed tab will do.

DB

RE: Rudder trim

I have just returned from a 32.5 hour x-country trip and as soon as I returned, I ordered the ML Skunkworks rudder trim. I have a 16 month old 9A with 230 TT. The system works on the same principle as the aileron trim, biased springs. The good part is that it is installed under the instrument panel with the two arms clamped to the rudder bars. A very clean install. I would encourage you to check it out before cutting the rudder and engineering then installing the associated monkey motion. Dan.

Dan, being in South Africa I have no idea who and what the Skunkworks trim is? Any more info or a website?
Thanks.

Springs on rudder peddles

Seems like there were threads about springs on the peddles to keep the rudder from flapping in the breeze when parked. If I recall, some put 2 springs on right side so it acted like a trim tab.

Wouldn't this work?

I'm asking because I am thinking about the springs instead of a tab install since paint time is coming up.

Back