What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim For RV-6

CNEJR

Well Known Member
Has anyone used a spring bias on the rudder pedals, similar to the trim system on the ailerons. Would be interested to hear and see how this is set up. Did a search on past forums to no avail. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks for the response, this is about what I had in mind. Just need to mull over the linkage to try to simplfy.

I take it that this question means that you're still plugging away on the project Chuck - great to hear!

Paul

Looks cool, i have a customer that wanted me to do rudder trim in his 6, but it looked to complicated. For a fixed trim solution, does everyone use a wedge or different tension petal return springs? I was going to add springs, and was thinking that different tensions might do fine for a trim system.

Keep it simple

I installed springs on the rudder pedals to keep the cables from sagging by connecting from the pedal to a gusset on the firewall.
Then, I tightened up the spring on the right pedal, by shortening it, until it gave the right pull to center the ball in cruise. There was no noticeable feel to this in any flight regime. (It's similar to VAN's spring aileron system.)
To make it adjustable, you can go the extra mile and add a small vernier cable to the firewall end of the spring, allowing you to control the spring pressure.
No wedgie required on the rudder with this. It worked great on my RV6 and RV8.

rudder trim

Chuck, I guess maybe you forgot, but I showed you my rudder trim system on my rv-6, Its a cockpit adjustable system that uses two springs. Its very simple and I have been flying it for over two years with no problems. I am selling kits for the same and I can be contacted off this sight if I can be of help.
Steve Behrends

Now you tell me.

Steve, I knew you had rudder trim, but never actually crawled up under your dash to see how you accomplished this.

I added mine as an after thought, everyone told me I was wasting my time, but you know me. "Everyone told me "My RV flys straight, so I don't need it"......Right.

The diagram given above has just a few two many pulleys and moving parts for me, but going back to my RC days, I simply fabbed a strudy bellcrank with its cables going straight to springs going to spurs attached to the pedal bars, off the bellcrank I have a rod with a knob that screws in/out under the left side of my panel to give trim. Seems to work well, everyone that see's it likes it, but very simple. I think I have about $10.00 in it. I guess all those hours we spent building RC were worth something.

What is your website? Have missed you. Come see me sometime, I would like for you to look at my plane. Good luck on your kit sales.

Wow!

Those are really nice. I paticularly like the rudder pedal extensions and the rudder trim. I think you will sell a ton of those. Very reasonably priced too. Guys you need to check the site above out. This guy knows what's good and how to make it work.

Steve

I could not find an address on your website. I would like a set of your rudder trim systems for my -6.

how can I contact you offline?

Back