What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trailing Edge

randyintejas

Well Known Member
After researching the forums for ideas on how to perform this task I decided that I did not care for any of the options discovered and needless to say I really did not care for how the manual described this process so, here is what I did.
Materials:
1. 4 foot steel angle form HD aviation supply
2. 1 7/64 cobalt Metal Drill Bit also form HD aviation supply
Tools:
1. Drill Press running at 900RPM
2. Rapid Tap Cutting Fluid
3. Mushroom head attachment
I put the steel angle on the edge of my work bench and laid the rudder skin over it (before any assembly) and lined it up with the inside edge of the angle. I then marked every 4th hole with a sharpie. Next it was off to the drill press to drill the holes for the cleco?s to push into. On the opposite Angle I drilled two larger holes for screws so I could attach the angle to my work bench.
After attaching the angle to the bench I drill all the holes I made on the drill press into the bench top. I then celeoed the edge together with the corresponding holes in the angle, flipped it over and inserted all my rivets between the celeco?s and taped them down with blue painters tape. I then attached the assembly to the angle and back riveted it together using the method outlined in the manual. This left me with the holes the cleco?s were placed in so, I inserted rivets into those holes and riveted opposite ends working my way to the middle.
My Trailing Edge came out as straight as I believe is possible and no Pro Seal was used. I was also able to prime my AEX wedge! I did turn all my rivets in one direction but I see no reason why you could not alternate them if that is your choice.

Ordering Wing s and Fus Kit Monday !!

Disclaimer:
I am NOT a Professional and I cannot guarantee this process will work for you! Use at your own risk.

rudderangle.jpg

Back