What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trailing Edge

msturgis

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to match drill the rudder's trailing edge. Any tips for making sure I don't mess up the wedge and skins?

Not much to it

Matt,

Its been a few years but there wasn't anything special about the drilling both skins and the wedge.

One recommendation is to use some material on the backside of the wedge as a guide when countersinking. As you CS the 'other' side of the hole the CS bit will start to wander and chatter because as the 2 countersinks meet the hole enlarges. Hard to describe, easy to see.

I purchase 2 sections of 3/4 in aluminum U channel from Lowes. I clamped each one to a skin and match drilled them. After you have match drilled the skins and the wedge, remove the wedge from the skins and cleco it to the u-channel. Now the CS bit will have a pilot hole to follow.

You can then use both the sections of u-channel while pro-sealing the wedge to the skins. This will prevent pillowing and keeps the training edge very straight. Since making the u-channels mine have been used on 2 other area RVs. See Mikes website (link below), he used the channels I made and documented how he did it.

http://www.nippaero.com/log/20070811.php

EricB
Boise ID
RV-7 FWF/Finishing

Last edited:
Back