What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trailing edge, what aluminum angle...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
What size aluminum angle works best for support while building the trailing edge of the rudder? I need to order some and don't really know what to order.

I just went to the hardware store and bought some 1/8" x 1 1/2" aluminum angle. Its not structural, but it doesn't need to be. It's available locally and reasonably cheap.

I wouldn't use angle for supporting the trailing edges of any rudder or elevator control surfaces - there's the chance it may not be as straight as it could be, or could get bent. I used hardware store 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x relatively thin walled al square tube, which maintains its straightness during assembly very well.

I used a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" by 1/8" thick 6061 angle that I purchased from a metal yard locally. I had to buy a 20-foot stick of it, but I used some for the rudder and some for the elevators, and it was cheap. I had no issues at all with it sagging or being less than straight - mine was straight as an arrow - better than the trailing edge of the rudder after a little handling, drilling, clecoing, etc.

1000977jn5.jpg

Mine came out looking absolutely terrific after I pulled the angle off, no issues at all.

rudder trailing edge log page

Last edited:
I used a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" length of al angle. One face is drilled for the rudder and the other is drilled for the elevators.

Steve

A 4 foot piece of 1/8" x 3/4" x3/4" from Lowes or Home Depot is more than sufficient as the support piece for building the rudder. Use a rule to check for bends. I'm sure you willl not find a bend. If it is bent, then bend it back.

Tracy.

angle

A 4 foot piece of 1/8" x 3/4" x3/4" from Lowes or Home Depot is more than sufficient as the support piece for building the rudder. Use a rule to check for bends. I'm sure you willl not find a bend. If it is bent, then bend it back.

Tracy.

Exactly what I used. My trailing edge is laser straight. Judisious use of pro-seal required.

I just used a four-foot piece of 1.25 x 1.25 x 1/16 inch Al angle. An easy way to tell if its straight is to look down it lengthwise - you can easily tell if it is bent or twisted.

I tried RTV and epoxy for my elevators, and neither really did well at holding the Al together while riveting (maybe the Al wasn't as clean as it should/could have been?). In both cases, careful riveting technique resulted in very straight edges anyway.

greg

Rudder Trailing Edge

Either square tube or or 3/4" minimum angle. 1/8" is better than 1/16" if you use angle.

Riveting technique is the most critical.

I used epoxy instead of proseal and was very careful in prep and riveting. Elevator and rudder edges came out laser straight!

Follow the riveting instructions on sequence and technique and it will come out well for you!

Keith

RV9A
Flying!

I have a 1/16" peice of AA on mine right now, seems to be working just fine. Straight as it can be.

Back