What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trailing Edge Shape?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6 with the larger couterbalanced but still folded trailing edge. I need a significant amount of rudder deflection during the take off roll and on the few times so far that I have had to do a forward slip while landing in a slight cross wind. Is this normal or is it possible that the trailing edge of the rudder needs squeezed to make it more effective? Otherwise she flies beautifully - feet and hands off in the cruise with the ball nailed in the middle.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

It's normal, Jim

My -6A also needs a bunch of right rudder in the same conditions...it's also counterweighted and folded.

Regards,

After pondering this...

...overnight, Jim, there's more. In the first place, we have a high power to weight ratio in even the lowly 150 HP models and with a lot of fin/rudder area, the spiral airflow from the prop as it contacts such a large area from the left side, results in a good left yawing tendency. Regardless of the FAA's definition of "high performance airplane", which we do not fit, we are nevertheless, flying high performance airplanes and this is usually a trait of them.

In the taildraggers, the downward swinging prop blade has a lot more "bite" (think P-factor), than the up-swinging prop blade, adding to the yaw because of greater thrust on the right side of the airplane, until the tail comes up, then both prop blades have a more equal angle of attack.

FWIW, in really high HP airplanes like the Bearcat, Grumman threw in a good dose of nose-down engine tilt, this to help direct that spiral airflow over the top of the fin and help minimize the tremendous yaw caused by that 2000 or more horsepower.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back