What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trailing edge assembly

qiutong

Hi again everyone,

Time for another question I know you guys can help me with.

Concerning the trailing edge of the rudder; when it comes time to "glue" the trailing edge together with pro-seal in preparation for riveting, should I prime the inside of the skins and the AEX wedge, or leave them bare aluminium?

I'm concerned that the bond may not be strong enough over the primer, and at the same time, concerned that without primer, that it may be more prone to corrosion.

Any thoughts on it? Thanks.

Brad

Last edited:
no primer, scuff the wedge and bonding surface on the skin, clean with mek... butter the wedge with proseal, cleco it all up, clean any excess proseal with mek, wait 3 days for a good cure...

Bond

You only need the proseal to bond long enough till you rivet it together. This bond helps to keep the trailing edge straight while you rivet.

Thanks guys,

No primer, only proseal. I think I feel better without the primer. I was concerned that proseal wouldn't bond as well over the primer as it would on the bare aluminium.

Thanks again.

Brad

Last edited:
it seemed to help keep a really straight edge during the proseal cure by clecoing a ridged backing, such as a piece of angle, to the edge. i used a piece of 1x1x1/8 aluminum from HD/Lowes and later recycled it in building my wing stands.

i have only used mek... it works great on proseal, sharpie marker, the blue factory marking on the aluminum sheet, just about everything. with either product get an inexpensive (around 5 dollars) chemical resistant gloves at lowes/hd and use glass jars with lids to soak the clecos and have a ready supply that is easy to pour and manage. for rags i have had good success with white cotton; the red shop rags tend to begin to leave behind bits of rag... although the red rags work great cleaning clecos.

Back