What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder top fiberglass tip

sglynn

Well Known Member
I'm installing the top rudder fiberglass tip and the aft couple of inches do not have rivets. That seems kinda loose to me. Did anyone add extra rivets on the aft end? Or did you pro-seal it in? thanks

I did the normal tip rivits then glased over it to blend in for paint. Are you blending or not.

The trailing edge of the rudder is not wide enough to install blind rivets any further back then the pre-punched holes. If I remember correctly, after the blind rivet was set on one side I had to shorten the last blind rivet on the other side so it would sit flush with the skin before I pulled it.

I'm at this point now...a couple of questions...

The rudder top cap is a wee bit short...I can move it forward to within about 1/8" of the forward skin, and that's it because a) any further forward and the aft end looks stupid, too short, and b) it just won't fit any further forward.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, what did you use to build up the front of the cap that small amount? I don't want anything coming loose or cracking there, obviously.

Second question, applies to all the tips/caps except the rudder bottom...did you put any aluminum reinforcements on the inside of the fiberglass? Washers? Nothing?

TIA...hoping to finish all these up this weekend...

Steve

I did not glass my tips to the skin.

I moved my tip fairing forward and used flox to build up the very rear end in order to gain the required length. No real problem. I may have floxed the front edge some, for cosmetics, I don't remember.

In regards to rivets, I found some 3/32 c'sink pops and used those in the holes provided in the skin. The rear cantilever section has not been an issue.

Back