What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder - Substituting CS4-4 Pop Rivets for AN426AD3-4

newimaging

I have 2 rivets I can`t reach on the R-710 Horn Brace at the bottom of the rudder. The instructions say that I can substitute CS4-4 pop rivets for the AN426AD3-4.
I drilled #40 and dimple those holes. If I now re-drill them to #30 for the CS4-4 to fit, I will most likely loose my dimple and not be able to set that pop rivet flush to the rudder skin. Also the skins are very thin, so going back and countersinking would go right true the skins. Should I just use some kind of LP3-4 rivet
The parts are already riveted in place except for those 2 missing once, so I can`t run the skin under the DRDT-2 anymore.

(Its drawing #7 of the plans, on the right side.
Don`t know if I am allowed to post small cutouts of the plans on here without vital info ?)

Nevermind. I should read more carefully.

My plans show LP4-3 for either Brace (R-710) to Bottom Rib (R-904) or Brace to Rudder Horn (R-405PD).

Are these the rivets you are talking about?

Dave

Last edited:
No, its the R-901 Skin to R-904 bottom rib to R-710 Horn Brace.

IMG_1483.jpg

Creative bucking

I think using different type of bucking bar will work. I was able to set them all solid but do not remember how I did it was a while ago. If nothing works MK-319BS will fit those dimples, just open the hole to 7/64.

Longeron Yoke Plus 1/2 tall dimple set

The problem I had even with the longeron yoke (which you do need for other things as well) is that you also need the flat rivet set that is about 1/2 inch tall. With that on the top of the longeron yoke, you can then set all of the rivets without crunching the surrounding areas.

Bill S
7a on the verge!

Thanks guys, I went to see my friend David at the airport today, and he had a longeron yoke with a 1/2 inch tall rivet set. It worked perfect, and was actually very easy. I also did some rivets at near the trailing edge that I couldn`t reach before with his no-hole yoke.
I`ll eventually have to buy those 2 yokes, but right now I am saving for the wings :)

Back