What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stops

Sure

pict4151srl2.jpg

But search the posts, if you make it to the plans it might be to small.

I made a couple of pairs of these to the plans and finally decided to forget the plans... and made cardboard templates... cutting until the rudder was X" (I forget the exact) from the elevator... inside the maximum envelope. Then I took an a piece of angle and drilled the holes that attach it to the fuse...and cut and filed until it matched the template.

When I made my second set of stops I left an extra 1/8" or so at the angled cut. Once I had riveted them I simply filed some away until I had the right rudder swing. In the end I didn't take a whole lot off.

Thanks for that guys ! Mine are made to drawing but I seem to be nearly touching the rudder to elevator before they work! I think I will make with more material at the rear and adjust with a file until I get the right measurements!

Carefull how you line them up vertically. I initially aligned the horizontal flange of the stops with the horizontal flange of the rudder horn but this also aligned the cables with the flanges of the stops so they rubbed on full deflection. I ended up raising the stops by about 1/4" to clear the cables.
Jim Sharkey

Back