What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Stop Diagram

rcarson

Well Known Member
Someone was selling the rudder stops that he had made from high density plastic and had posted the diagram. I lost my copy. Does anyone have the diagram and could you please post it once again. Thanks.

Note that the stop should ideally be placed *between* the L-brackets, not above or below. In between, the bolts holding it get loaded symmetrically, in double-shear. Placed above or below, the bolts are loaded in bending.

Yes, even loaded in bending it may be plenty strong enough, but when it can be stronger for no additional cost...

Gust Lock

I used the stops you are asking about, but......there is no place to add a gust lock. Consider adding one angle stop on the side fuselage so you can use that to add a U shaped pin to lock the rudder on the ground.

C A

Easy

A quick and cheap rudder gust lock can be made from some scrap PVC pipe.

Simply fab a U-shaped assembly with a T on it and place it against the rudder pedals with the other end pushed against the seat front.

I__I
I
I

We attached short sections of tubing cut lengthwise, to straddle the lower part of the rudder pedals....pics later.

Rudderlock.jpg

Best

Last edited:
Rudder Stops

Thanks for the links and the advice. I knew I could count on getting the info I needed.

Pierre,

I really like your idea for a gust lock. If it could be made so that it braces the stick as well and locks all three axes, that'd be amazing. I particularly like it because you have to remove it to get in the airplane, and so there's no chance of being a bonehead and taking off with surfaces locked.

Back