What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stiffener orientation

Quick question; I'm having difficulty getting the rudder stiffener orientation straight. When I look at the stiffener trim detail, if I were to trim the stiffeners all the same way, this would result in the flange being down on the right rudder skin and up on the left. Is this correct?

Quick question; I'm having difficulty getting the rudder stiffener orientation straight. When I look at the stiffener trim detail, if I were to trim the stiffeners all the same way, this would result in the flange being down on the right rudder skin and up on the left. Is this correct?
Yes, that's correct. That way they don't interfere with each other.

Thanks Boris; when I place the left and right skins back to back, the pre-drilled holes don't quite line up anyways but what you say makes sense.

The drawings only show the stiffeners on the right side and the instructions are a little vague.

So, in this case, the stiffeners are all cut to the same pattern and trimmed to length with the ones for the left rudder skin going in upside down...

remember....

Gotta remember that you need to trim the forward portion of the stiffeners to make them fit. Don't trim the rear.

If you trim the wrong end the holes won't line up. Figured this out before I trimmed mine! :D

Back