What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Springs

lr172

Well Known Member
My RV-6A kit does not have springs for the rudder pedals and no mention of them in the plans. I would think the cables or pedals would go slack when your feet are not on the rudder. Is this normal and typical.

Thanks,

Larry

My RV-6A kit does not have springs for the rudder pedals and no mention of them in the plans. I would think the cables or pedals would go slack when your feet are not on the rudder. Is this normal and typical.

Thanks,

Larry

I can't speak for the other models, but yes, that is normal on the RV-10.

I have Aerosport Products' rudder trim installed which is spring based. It works great.

Thanks,

Larry

It is normal.

Early plans for the -6 showed return springs for the rudder pedals. Later, for some reason, they were deleted.

Another reason for the springs on the early models was that the floor mounted pedals could conceivably fall back onto the floor. Not a factor with the later hanging pedals.

Last edited:
Optional

When I started building in the early 90's rudder springs were often mentioned as an option. I even made provisions for them with my cable to pedal connector plates but never installed the springs. No issue at all without. The only time you need rudder on a 6 is when you are taking off or landing, then you will have your feet on the rudders 100% of the time and will not need the springs to take up slack. Once in cruise you don't even use the rudder pedals. I usually continue to rest my feet on the pedals but occasionally will want to change position and pull my feet back and off the pedals, no affect on flight characteristics at all. IMHO springs are not needed.

What Frank said but....

Have you thought about brake return springs? Real inexpensive and easy to do especially if your cylinders feel stiff. Easy install too if you still have everything in the front fuse opened up.

I have the return springs on my-6A

and after building/flying the -10 and the -8A without the springs, I like the springs, if only to keep the rudder from slapping around in the wind before I get the gust lock in.

Thanks for all of the experience here. I appreciate it! My pedals are still off after painting the interior and fwd top skin is still off. I think that I will look for a way to add springs. After flying, I can decide if I want them or not. Better to have an option here.

Any suggestions for attaching springs without welding a plate pedal assy? I don't want to repaint the pedals if I can avoid it. I have the newer top mounted pedals.

Maybe I can slip in an extra plate along with the one for attaching the rudder cable then attach a spring there and the firewall somewhere.

Larry

Attachment plates for spings

What I did (but did not use) is make the outside plate of the rudder cable connection plate pair longer. I added a hole to the longer plate at the end that extended forward of the rudder pedals. No welding or affect to paint.

Back