What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder skins .016 or .020?

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Does anyone on this list know if the rudder skins on the RV-7/7A have been changed in the kits from the original .016 thickness? I know they were changed on the 6's ( as I ended up building a 2nd rudder due to the cracking)but I am not sure on the 7's.

Thanks.

Vic

Vic,
I don't know if you can buy .020 from Vans.
I built a second rudder (.016) Prosealed the stiffeners and back rivited while they were wet. I'll let you know in a year if any cracks develop. <g>

You should be able to get what you want.

In 98 when I started the tail on my 6 it came with 02thin :p , which was .016

I sent them all back and got .020 :)

They should have the .020 control surface skins in stock as they are popular if not now a standard.

The -6 ones that cracked were folded trailing edges. The stress created in bending the trailing edge contributed to the cracking. The new -7 rudder isn't folded in any way. I would be shocked it one cracked.

The older style -7 rudder (ala -8) is 0.020" and is folded. I am not aware of any cracking on those.

:) CJ

You guys are great with the responses. What started this is that we had a homeowners meeting tonight and one of the guys is building a 7. Of course, they heard I was building a 7, and mentioned "thicker" skins on the rudder, claiming they had .019 skins (which of course I never heard of, and I have already done 2 tech counselor visits on their project and didn't notice thicker skins!). Anyway, I asked them to go home and verify and call me, and sure enough, they have the .016 skins. But it was too late to call Van's, and today I had just finished riveting the stifferners to the skins.

Thanks a bunch. I'll just continue. Can you tell I hate rework?!

Vic

In an email from Van's:

Matt,

It sounds like you have over deburred the holes initially, then drilling out to
#30 finished it off. What I would suggest is to start over with new rudder
skins and stiffeners. That way you can be ensured that your plane is built to
spec. The skins are .020" rather than .016". We have no technical data on
what issues you would run into if you used all NAS1097 rivets on your
rudder. Let me know if you need additional assistance.
Thanks

Joe
Vans Aircraft

See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20229 for the entire thread.

I ordered my kit in May 2007.

I had an aeronautical engineer look at the design of the rudder and we both came to the same conclusion, the skins are too thin where the stiffinners butt up to the spar. The fix was to manufacture a internal doubler of 0.016" 2024-t3. The doubler picks up the spar and extends down each stiffenner in effect doubling the skin thickness at the point of the reported cracks.
We found that the rudder is alot stiffer and has less oil canning of the skins.
Hope this may help others that are also conserned about the skin thickness as I beleive that Vans are still supplying 0.016" skins for the 7.

Mick

Started my -7 last month w/ empennage, and the rudder skins are definitely .016.

But as others have said, the trailing edge is not folded as on the -8, so a careful, thorough job of deburring should prevent cracking (let's hope). If it doesn't, well...does Van's even offer the skins in .020?

Started my -7 last month w/ empennage, and the rudder skins are definitely .016.

But as others have said, the trailing edge is not folded as on the -8, so a careful, thorough job of deburring should prevent cracking (let's hope). If it doesn't, well...does Van's even offer the skins in .020?

My plans say 0.016" skins but Van's told me they are 0.020" (see above email). I'll measure them next time I'm out at my workshop. BTW I'm building a 7 with a non-folded trailing edge.

I had an aeronautical engineer look at the design of the rudder and we both came to the same conclusion, the skins are too thin where the stiffinners butt up to the spar. The fix was to manufacture a internal doubler of 0.016" 2024-t3. The doubler picks up the spar and extends down each stiffenner in effect doubling the skin thickness at the point of the reported cracks.
We found that the rudder is alot stiffer and has less oil canning of the skins.
Hope this may help others that are also conserned about the skin thickness as I beleive that Vans are still supplying 0.016" skins for the 7.

Mick

Mick
Can you post any photo's of this or a diagram?
John

Clarification...

Hi,

I spotted this thread in which a response I had given to DaX was quoted but may have been confusing. Many times the E-mail is not the best communication tool. :confused: Below is a clarification of the rudder skins for all RV's and attributes. Hope this clears things up.

R-401..............016 Folded - Standard on RV-4 & RV-6/6A
R-401-020.......020 Folded
R-601-1..........016 Folded
R-601PP..........016 Folded - Prepunched
R-601PP-020....020 Folded - Prepunched
R-801PP..........020 Folded - Prepunched - Standard on RV-8/8A
R-901-L & R.....016 2 Piece - Prepunched - Standard on RV-7/7A & 9/9A

Thanks

Joe
Vans Aircraft

I had this same problem at united.. I talked to the Alcola repand he said the material can be + or - .03... :eek:.. I was shocked to.. I got a mic and checked the stock and it was all over the place.

Mick
Can you post any photo's of this or a diagram?
John
John
I didn't take many photo's at the time of building the rudder. When I get out to the hanger I will take a photo of the finished rudder. The doubler fingers were tappered at the ends under the stiffener angles.

Mick

RV7RudderSkinDoubler

Back