What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder skin/stiffener goof

blueflyer

Well Known Member
I was back riveting the stiffeners to my rudder skin. I didnt realize the edge of my back riveting plate was not under the rivet. The edge of the back rivet plate was about 1/16" away from the rivet. When I applied pressure to the rivet gun, it pushed the edge of the back plate into the skin and the rivet gun creased the stiffener. I wish the pics were better but the creases are raised about a fingernail's thickness. Is this something that is cosmetic or do I need to order new skin and stiffener?

Rudderskinandstiffenerpics002.jpg

Rudderskinandstiffenerpics001.jpg

Last edited:
Blue,
can't really tell from the pics if the skin is cracked, but this can probably be repaired. it's up to you to decide at this point if you will always see this flaw when you look at the rudder or not, but believe me, you will have a lot of these flaws during the total build. Remember, it's an airplane not a watch, some flaws are ok.

stiffner

If it's not cracked it probably will in the future.

I did the same thing

I did the same thing on the same part and ended up replacing the rudder skin. Skin was about $50, shipping was about $40! I should have just lived with is and filled it when I painted because I ended up damaging the new skin later on in the build with a cleco I that I didn't notice on the work bench. :mad:

I would call Van's Monday,

The stiffner looks like it took the blunt of the damage. I think they will tell you to replace the stiffner, which you can make out of some scrap .025 material. Just bend it over a 2X4 and cut it to shape.

If the skin is not cracked you can probably fill it and get away with it. the stiffner will provide a backing to the skin.

But i would check with Van's and talk about the options first.

Smilin' Jack

I sent vans an email yesterday. The skin is almost cracked now and the stiffener did get beat up pretty bad too. Jeremy hit the price, its about $45 for skin and stiffener, so price isn't a repair factor.

replace

I'd replace it....as a matter of fact I did replace my rudder skin several times. :)

Yep, just bought a new skin and stiffener this morning. Upon closer inspection this morning, I could see the aluminum skin was stretched to where it was so close to cracking that I don't know how it didn't crack. It's a repair waiting to happen. Easier to fix now than taking a flying airplane off the line for repair in the future.

Dang it, I was gonna build this whole airplane without a single replacement part....

Last edited:
Back