What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder rod end problem

mototopo

Well Known Member
Ok, the rudder is complete (except dor the fiberglass tip) and I was mating it with the VS to see the effect, but I have a problem:

the central rod end doesn't fit into the VS hinge bracket!! :eek:

The upper and lower are perfect, but the central one is 0.05" bigger than the space between the hinge brackets on the VS (the rod end looks centered on the hinge brackets). Obviously, the rod end itself is the right one , it's the space between the hinge brackets that is not as (I think) it should be. :confused:

What to do? Do I have to simply force the rod end between the hinge brackets or do I have to search for a different solution (maybe a different kind of rod end)???

Help please!!

The larger rod end bearing goes at the bottom. It carries the extra load of the cables. Check and see of your bottom one has extra slack.

Hi Mel,
the rod end on the bottom is different (a bit larger and with a longer thread) and is in the right place. The one in the center is the same as the one on the top, but in the center I have the problem.

I think the problem is with the hinge brackets: it looks like the holes used to rivet them to the VS spar ar not on the centerline of the flange but a little outward. This reduce the gap between them (the hinge brackets were prepunched, so I don't think it's my fault). I really hope I don't have to dismantle the VS to change the brackets! :mad:

If we're only talking 0.050", you can probably bend the brackets enough (0.025" ea.). Just make sure that when everything is clamped down, nothing is dragging.
Sent you an e-mail.

Last edited:
Pre-punched?

It's been a while, but I think I recall that the holes in the VS spar and the holes in the brackets are pre-punched in this model. Given that, I'd look to see if the brackets are truly at right angles to start with.

Bendable....

This is a common problem. Just spread the hinge brackets a bit while installing the rudder. All will be ok.

...and that is why Vans changed the hinge brackets from 1/8 alum. angle on the RV4/6 to the much thinner, more flexible steel on the later models....:)

gil A

...I recall that the holes in the VS spar and the holes in the brackets are pre-punched in this model...

Yes, the holes are pre-punched, but the brackets are at 90°.

...you can probably bend the brackets enough (0.025" ea.)...

I think this is the way to go. I sent Van's an e-mail and I'm waiting for an answer. I'll let you know.

UPDATE

This is what Van's tech assistance said:

Just spread the hinge brackets slightly to get the bearing between them.
0.05 is not enough to cause a problem

Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:
Back