What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Rod End Bearings

wpisar

I somehow managed to loose drawing 7 which contains the rod end bearing measurements. I have the small drawings but I have a sneaking suspicion that the measurements were revised. I'm having a heck of time setting up the rudder without any binding. It would be much appreciated if someone could check their dwg 7 and let me know what the 3 measurements are for those rod end bearings.

Bill P. - attaching the empennage

Disclosure???

I think that's what lawyers call it-
What are you building?

Oh, I see it's on the -9 forum, sorry.

Last edited:
wpisar said:
I somehow managed to loose drawing 7 which contains the rod end bearing measurements. I have the small drawings but I have a sneaking suspicion that the measurements were revised. I'm having a heck of time setting up the rudder without any binding. It would be much appreciated if someone could check their dwg 7 and let me know what the 3 measurements are for those rod end bearings.

Bill-

I think your preview plans are probably the same as the full drawings. I remember finding the measurements in the full drawings to not be all that accurate either... they didn't even align in one straight line on mine. I think I remember the bottom bearing in general being way off. The key is to get your rudder swinging freely with a sufficient number of rod-end threads in the VS, while also keeping the counterbalance parallel to the top edge of the VS skin. To make mine all fit together as close to the spar as possible, I also slightly eased the aft edge of VS skins to eliminate a tiny bit of rubbing in one or two places.

Also make sure that you set up the rudder/VS bearings before you fabricate your rudder stops. A slight change in rod-end bearings can have a pretty dramatic effect on the rudder stop required.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My plans (empennage purchased 8/06) show:
51/64" upper
59/64" mid
1 1/16 lower
I don't recall deviating, and it swung true with no effort.
Carl

wpisar said:

Bill,
The plans show the dimensions from the "spar" of the rudder.
The lower rod end has the doubler on the forward side so you have to take into account the thickness of the doubler when measuring.

Mark

Last edited:
Something I did to insure success was go to the hardware store and buy a 3/16? steel rod. Once the measurements were made I ran the rod through the rod end bearings and then sighted the rod and checked that the bearings were in a straight line I checked all the hinge lines on the emp this way. It works like a charm.

String......

You can also run a piece of string through the three holes and see if it's centered in them.

Pierre

Back