What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Rivet?

mkmuch

Guys...

Pg 7-8 (Rudder)

Step 3 - Attaching R1004 (piece with control horns on it) to the right skin.

The question I have is what's the best way to get that last rivet all the way toward the back of the rudder? It's the one with about 1/4 inch of clearance?

I have a narrow flat end yoke for the squeeze but even that really doesn't fit up in there without bending the top piece all to heck - perhaps thats the way and you just bend it back? However, before I took the caveman approach I thought I'd ask.

How did you guys conquer that one?

No-hole yoke

I ground the end of my no-hole yoke so the tip was only about 1/16" thick. That let it fit somewhat better.

Good luck!

I used my back rivet set on my gun with my 1/8 inch punch through the other side hole in the skin and a thin steel bar against the shop head. Lay the skin on the back rivet table.
This way worked great but some of these other builders probably have a way that doesn't require five tools working together.

How did you guys conquer that one?

That's not one I remember having difficulties with. I must have used my no hole yoke on the pneumatic squeezer.

You've got several more of this type of situation coming ahead of you in the build process. What I ended up doing for a particular rivet on the wings was to ground down a bucking bar.

FP04092008A00018.jpg

I've tried using a chisel several times, but I was unable to get it to set the rivets. Others have had better luck with a chisel.

bob

If I remember correctly, the plans do in fact call out optional blind rivets in this location. I believe that I have a couple there, one on each side.

If I remember correctly, the plans do in fact call out optional blind rivets in this location. I believe that I have a couple there, one on each side.

Yep, 7-9, Step 7 calls for a blind rivet, which explains why I couldn't recall having any issues.

You can tell I have too much time on my hands this morning. Just waiting for the rain to stop so that I can start priming parts again.

I laid the rudder down on the back riveting plate. (Rivet placed in the hole)

Then I put a crowbar on top of the rivet (shop head side) and it the crowbar with high power. The crowbar transfered the energy into the rivet and it set just fine. Make sure you use enough power and you'll do just fine.

Phil

follow up

Thanks Again Guys...

I tried the crow bar idea - just because it sounded cool... :D

Worked very well. In looking ahead at the instructions and at some of other RV-10's closer it appears I could have blind riveted that last one and will have to do so as I put the skins together...

Lots of learning... On to the pro-seal, angle iron (for rudder straightness) and rudder trim mod.

More later.

Thx...

Back