What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedals

N9331v

Well Known Member
Ok so I have never flown in any RV yet I'm building one. Anyway for you seasoned RV 6-7 pilots I'd like to know if during semi smooth air can one put their feet flat on the floor under the rudder pedals to stretch out for long periods in flight? Does the RV fly well without constant pressure on the rudder pedals? I'd like to know before I permanently bolt down my rudder pedals.

Thanks Ed

Typically in an RV you only need the rudder pedals during aerobatics or operations under 100-120 mph.

Last edited:
I can pretty much do that but I always keep my feet lightly on the pedals. The solution is an autopilot.:)

Are there rudded pedals in a RV? I thought those were foot rests!

Initially I though Mel"s answer was incomplete, but I remembered that you are usually below 100 when on the ground. In some cases in rough air at cruise, you need to rest your feet on the pedals, but even then you probably do more harm than good by using the rudder.

Someone needs to give this man a ride!

Bruce Patton
RV-6A flying since '99
RV-10, starting soon

Thanks guys, guess I'll bolt the foot rest down where I have them. Nice to know it shouldn't be much different than my Mooney.

The smaller RVs (-4 and -6) tend to "hunt" a bit in cruise I find. Just a slight side-to-side oscillation that will get annoying if you ignore it. Resting your feet lightly on the pedals kills it completely. The larger-ruddered RV's (-7, -8, -9) don't seem to do this, so you should be fine in your -7.

In fact I will see a small yaw if my feet are resting on the pedal in cruise since my right foot is slightly heavier then left foot. My feet are typcially up on the pedals during take off, landing and real slow operation.

Back