What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedals

houndsfour

Has anyone changed the floor mounted rudder pedals to the overhead pedals
in a RV-6?
I'm told that the overhead pedals are smoother and the brakes are easier to use and much more comfortable on the ankles.
All opions welcome here.
Rich
N721ET

Timely Post.....In Progress!

My -6 is 91-92 kit, and I am currently in the process of changing over. As of right now, it does not look like a huge deal. The biggest obstacle that I have discovered is that my fresh air vents are mounted too far forward (as are all the early RV-6's that I have looked at) The forward edge of the vent needs to be about 4.5' aft of the firewall, and mine is 1.5".
So, I will have to remove the vent, flush patch, cut new openings, and move the vents aft. At this time, I am not sure of how I will do the patch. It appears that the shop head of the rivets will preclude the nylon blocks for mounting the pedals from sitting flush against the inside of the fuselage skin. I may have to use shorter rivets to minimize the shop head and also bond the patch for added strength. There is no real structural load there, so I think that it would be fine. Anyone else done the swap and had this problem to deal with?
The other problem that I ned to solve is figuring out how to attach the center support bracket, as I have the governor box in my firewall which precludes being able to rivet the bracket to the aircraft structure.
I do not have the drawings here at home so I cannot quote the numbers
Also, if you are switching to the dual brake setup, as I am, the newer model plans call for the hyd reservoir to be mounted more centrally on the firewall. Mine is on the left side, but once again I do not believe that it will be a huge issue.

Last edited:
Has anyone changed the floor mounted rudder pedals to the overhead pedals
in a RV-6?
I'm told that the overhead pedals are smoother and the brakes are easier to use and much more comfortable on the ankles.
All opions welcome here.
Rich
N721ET

Not to mention that you can stretch your feet out under the pedals on long legs. After flying out from OH to CA, my legs did not straighten out for two weeks!

Thanks Mark,
My "6" is a little older than yours so I think I'll have the same problems.
I can see were the extra space under the pedals would be more comfortable on long trips.
Rich

You will also have to add...

...another hole for the rudder cables...

Revision 6 on sheet 25 --

The 5/8 hole is now 7 inches up and 9/16 in on F-602

Right!

...another hole for the rudder cables...

Revision 6 on sheet 25 --

The 5/8 hole is now 7 inches up and 9/16 in on F-602

I will have to see if I can find a newer set of plans to ascertain what F-602 is, and if my old RV is similar.
I am beginning to feel like I let open Pandora's box!

Last edited:
F-602...

I will have to see if I can find a newer set of plans to ascertain what F-602 is, and if my old RV is similar.
I am beginning to feel like I let opened Pandora's box!

...is a partial bulkhead - it is only a vertical piece on each side - that is about 14 inches behind the firewall.

It is the first bulkhead that the rudder cables go through.

Back