What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder pedals

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
On the RV-10 matronics I read ( I only know how to read that site; I don't know how to post there) about Paul Grimstead's custom rudder pedals. Are those still available? What do they look like. If available, how do I access them? I want something different than Van's standard pedals

Paul has stopped making the complete rudder pedal kits (controlapproach.com) but is working on a new product that will be much easier to install and look just as great with a likely (in my opinion) lower cost. Should be sometime soon I would suspect.

Looks like he has some info about the retrofit kit - but I know there is a design change, but you can get the idea of the new offering here: http://www.controlapproach.com/products/experimental-aircraft-products/retrofit-rudder-pedals

Last edited:
Eyes on it

I saw the latest version of the offering a few days ago and the quality looked great. Should be a nice product when Paul puts it out there. Hang in there :)

David

David does your signature suggest you are wiring the avionics? I was planning on relying on Aerotronics to build my panel, however I don't mind trying to do it on my own (save some bucks) but I don't cherish the errors and not sure I am up for the frustration. Do the instrument vendors assist with the wiring? Is the EAA wiring course worth it? Is this a skill set that one acquires as they tackle it, as working with metal to build the RV is or is it better left to those with experience?

David does your signature suggest you are wiring the avionics? I was planning on relying on Aerotronics to build my panel, however I don't mind trying to do it on my own (save some bucks) but I don't cherish the errors and not sure I am up for the frustration. Do the instrument vendors assist with the wiring? Is the EAA wiring course worth it? Is this a skill set that one acquires as they tackle it, as working with metal to build the RV is or is it better left to those with experience?

I am not David, but I think the answers to your questions depend on what will be in your panel. If you are going with an all glass panel with all the bells & whistles, you might want to have Aerotronics, Stein or others do the panel end wiring for you. That will still leave all the opposite end wiring for you to complete. The EAA wiring course will teach you good technique for that, as well as future maintenance tasks. If your panel will be basic, that is well within the capability of the careful builder. I recommend the EAA course either way.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I am not David, but I think the answers to your questions depend on what will be in your panel. If you are going with an all glass panel with all the bells & whistles, you might want to have Aerotronics, Stein or others do the panel end wiring for you. That will still leave all the opposite end wiring for you to complete. The EAA wiring course will teach you good technique for that, as well as future maintenance tasks. If your panel will be basic, that is well within the capability of the careful builder. I recommend the EAA course either way.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I second what Jim said. I had Steinair draw my wiring schematic and it was EZ to follow, but in hindsight I wish I would have had them do the harnesses for me. I am still fooling with a few pin out issues. :(

Hi Dennis,
Yep! And I'm almost done!
I used Aerotronics for my panel and loved the experience (except the check writing part!). I thought about the wiring/avionics like this. I have minimal electrical experience and want a high end, IFR equipped panel for my -10 that doesn't suffer from electrical annoyances. I own my own business and have a family so building time is hard to come by and "help" (I did the quickbuild wings and fuse) is always appreciated. With that in mind, I decided that I'd rather save in some places (chose against a 3 blade prop) and invest in others (Aerotronics). Aerotronics holds your hand from planning, to purchasing and wiring the panel into your aircraft. They were phenomenal from day one. They spent 3 months and over 280 hours working on my panel. When the time came, I picked up my panel and they gave me 3 hours of hands on intro/instruction, a wiring book with all the schematics to wire the panel into my aircraft, and alot of the electrical parts needed to do the job. They also provide 1 year of tech support as you get the panel into the aircraft and so far, I've called them no less then 10 times :) I am extremely happy with the panel, with Aerotronics, and with my decision. With my schedule, I would have spent between 6-9 months on the panel and I'm exciting to get flying. As it is, the wiring I did from the tail to the panel has taken me 3-4 months. The labor cost for them to do the panel was approx $12,000 which included some fiberglass work and paint.

I'm planning to post the panel pics on the forums soon so keep e eye out.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me to exchange numbers and I can fill you in on other details.

A different view

I am retired so have more time than money. And I do have some electronics experience, enough that I built my own audio switch panel/intercom. I did all the wiring except for the mandatory pre-built harness for the Garmin stuff. Everything worked first time it was turned on. I have GRT efis units, and their web site has typical wiring diagrams. IMHO if you can learn to rivet you can learn to crimp. Just take your time, triple check every pin number before you insert it, label everything, etc. the average person can do it, but it does take time.

I am retired so have more time than money. And I do have some electronics experience, enough that I built my own audio switch panel/intercom. I did all the wiring except for the mandatory pre-built harness for the Garmin stuff. Everything worked first time it was turned on. I have GRT efis units, and their web site has typical wiring diagrams. IMHO if you can learn to rivet you can learn to crimp. Just take your time, triple check every pin number before you insert it, label everything, etc. the average person can do it, but it does take time.

I agree with Bob. I did the same. Yes, I did make a couple mistakes, but they are relatively easy to fix. At least you don't have order an expensive part from Van's to swap a couple pins in a connector.

For those that are new or a little gun shy, SteinAir and Aerotronics will provide complete schematics for a fee.

You can also always do something in the middle (which is quite popular) - by having the core avionics wired up, and maybe the panel cutout then doing the rest of the work yourself. That's a good "bang for the buck" type of path and still allows you the insurance of having the really expensive parts wired up for you. You then do all the mounting of stuff, wiring of swtiches/breakers, etc.. Pretty much all the shops will gladly do as much or as little as you desire (or have the time, skill and confidence) or want to expend. Everyone has different skill levels, time, etc.. so everyone's decisions end up being slightly different on the details.

For some folks it's WAYYY better to just work some extra hours and have the entire panel built (believe me, there are folks who just shouldn't try it - but many that should), but then there are others who have the time and desire to do it themselves. You can get support no matter which way you decide to go.

Cheers,
Stein

I did the entire wiring and diagraming myself. All of the products out there have great manuals and diagrams and its a simple matter of research to learn what different items are, proper techniques (and tools) for making the connections and being methodical. Not different than the other skills learned in the build (sheet metal, fiberglass, etc....)

I tell you, having wired it myself, I know where everything is and whenever I've had a need to consider a change, its a non-issue.

As a postscript, I had only 1 minor wiring item and it was easier to fix and didn't cause any major issues.

Unless you are tight for time and flush in money, you may want to consider doing it yourself. These are experimental and are for learning right?

Your thoughts are welcome. I had a business advisory say 'Do the things you want to do and hire the rest'. I think I will hire the panel.

Your thoughts are welcome. I had a business advisory say 'Do the things you want to do and hire the rest'. I think I will hire the panel.

Smart advisory! I use that philosophy at work. Do I want to study law, the tax code, OSHA regulations, etc or do I want to focus on what I know and am good at?

There is truth to what's been said though. After spending the last few months wiring, I can tell you that it is like anything else on the build and in life. Study, research, learn, and then do it. But, all that takes time! When you're flush with money like me (Zing!!! To CharlieWaffles/Mark :) ), why not let the pros do it?

Wasn't this thread about rudder pedals!?! Haha!

David

Back