What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal & seat mod for short pilot?

FORANE

Well Known Member
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 6 for a short pilot. She is around 5 feet tall and maybe 100lbs. In a C-150 she had to move the seat all the way forward and use a large pillow behind her in order to reach the pedals.

How difficult would it be to move the rudder pedals back? To move the seat or put it on a rail?

pedals

If it's going to be her airplane you can move the rudder pedals aft by redrilling mount holes but that'll move the right side aft as well.

Short pilot

My wife is about 5'3". Our rudder pedals are installed about mid point in the fore/aft mount position. There is a link between the rudder peddal and the rudder cable that can be shortened or lengthened. I also added a piece of thick hose on the rudder peddal base where the foot rests. She also has an extra seat cushion. This all works for her.

How's the CG with just her in the plane. My aircraft would be on the forward edge with only a 100 lb pilot. I just add some weight in the baggage area.

Last edited:
If it's going to be her airplane you can move the rudder pedals aft by redrilling mount holes but that'll move the right side aft as well.

Hey Paul

Thanks for the post.

It would be her plane, but gosh most passengers would be awfully cramped for legroom with the pedals set to fit her. So I take it the pedals are fixed bilaterally to one another and cannot be separated? Then is it also not possible to remove one side?

You possibly could cut off the passenger rudder pedals

I am building a RV6 - I can send you some photos of the rudder pedals if you like

Jan

My wife is about 5'3". Our rudder pedals are installed about mid point in the fore/aft mount position. There is a link between the rudder peddal and the rudder cable that can be shortened or lengthened. I also added a piece of thick hose on the rudder peddal base where the foot rests. She also has an extra seat cushion. This all works for her.

How's the CG with just her in the plane. My aircraft would be on the forward edge with only a 100 lb pilot. I just add some weight in the baggage area.

Yes, we have seen a forward CG problem with her in another experimental. Good point. I am not familiar with the CG envelope on the 6's but will look at that for the specific one we select.

We use an additional composite wrapped molded foam booster seat behind the cushion of the seat in my plane for her now which is removable for other passengers. How hard would it be to put an adjustable rail on these seat frames?

You possibly could cut off the passenger rudder pedals

I am building a RV6 - I can send you some photos of the rudder pedals if you like

Jan

pm sent, thanks.

rudder pedal extentions

Here's a link to what I used.

http://www.mlblueskunk.com/Rudder_pedal_Extensions.html

I'm 5'5" with short legs. I requested and got 3 inch extensions and they work great. I set up the rudder pedals as close to the firewall as I could and still get full pedal travel and braking. I can now have the passenger with all the possible legroom available and I can still reach the pedals.

I did a mock up with simple spacers of wood or foam (can't remember) to determine how much extension I needed.

All Best

Jeremy Constant

As a note, check to see if the pedals are floor or overhead mounted. The floor mounted pedals are much more difficult to move around. The overhead pedals are pretty easy. The only gotcha is the center support for the pedals (if overhead) if the builder cut it short you will have to rivet on some sort of extention to match the new weldment location. Not a big deal, but another step in the process.

Back