What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Question

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I'm at that point in my build where I need to fit the rudder pedals. I'm am building a 6A with a late-model fuselage kit that uses the 7/9 firewall. I will be using the 7/9 tunnel and FWF arrangment (battery, fuel pump location ect.).

Since I am 6'4" I need as much legroom as I can get. Does anyone know how far forward the pedals can be mounted before they have an interference issue? I can calculate the pedal throw and figure it out from there, but if someone has the answer already that would save me the trouble.

I am planning on drilling a couple sets of holes to allow for some adjustment, but I want to start as far forward as possible.

Thanks

I did a similar arrangement on my 6A...

I am 6'2", 250 lbs (yes I know...buba factor). I drilled the rudder pedal supports as Van called out. Fortunately I also drilled a set of holes to move the pedals 2" forward of that. I use the forward most set of holes.

The seat back is in the rearmost set of hinge segments, and I do not use the floppy seat back brace thing.

Seat back cushion is from Van's cushion foam kit, and I sit on a 1" thick seat cushion.

That you for the info! Do you know by chance how much clearance to the firewall you have with full pedal deflection?

How is headroom with your arrangement?

I was thinking of talking to Vans to see if there was any acceptable method to move the top F-605 crossbace aft to allow the seat to tilt back a hair more. I should probably find another tall 6 owner first and see how the stock seats feel before I go through the trouble. Vans will likely say no-go anyway so it is a moot point. Since most of the fuselage skins are already drilled, it might be too late anyway.

With my arrangement...

...I use a David Clark head set with a "standard" head pad. I also use a Kroger sunshade on the tip-up canopy. With the sunshade pulled forward, I have abt 1" of clearance between the top of the headset and the sunshade.

There have been some recent post (with pictures) of some builders that have modified the seatback to incorporate an angled construction that allows more room for a parachute. You may want to investigate this...

Rudder pedal movement and clearance to the firewall was not an issue with my 6A. I had some initial concern with the brake pedal throw, but once the brake system was finished, fluid added, and bled, there was ample clearance between the pedal and firewall in a fully deflected rudder + fully activated brake, both left and right.

I also installed a parking brake valve on the cockpit side of the firewall, just in front of the pilots rudder pedals, as high up as was practical.

It sounds like 2" forward of the stock location will be a good starting point for me. I'll add a couple sets of holes farther aft for future adjustments.

Thanks for the tip on the seat back, I'll look into that.

Back