What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Position

Clamp your rudder pedals in the standard location. Then, borrow a set of cushions from a fellow builder (or build up a "cushion" out of towels, old newspapers, whatever) and check how you fit.

Adjust the pedals and try again...

Any thoughts on rudder pedal position? I'm 70 inches with a 31 inseam. I've "searched" the subject. Thanks

Steve
Where are you located? I would suggest finding someone with an RV7 or an RV9 that you can get in and try out. It's amazing the difference in seat position you think you want from when you have a canoe to when everything is installed. Things like manual elevator trim, fuel valve, and canopy height will affect where you will want to sit.

Any thoughts on rudder pedal position? I'm 70 inches with a 31 inseam. I've "searched" the subject. Thanks

Ideally you should sit in the cockpit and adjust them to suit. I used heavy duty zip ties to simulate the short steel links between the cables and the lugs on the pedals. You can mess with these until you are happy and then cut and drill the steel links on the same centers.

You need the rudder and rudder stops installed to do this. Also it's a good idea to adjust the rudder bars before fitting and adjusting the brake pedals. That way you can ensure full rudder travel without actuating the brakes.

I also drilled three sets of holes for the rudder pivot blocks spaced 1" apart. I used the center set but some future pilot could easily (?) adjust the pedals by sliding the assembly fore or aft and making some new cable links.

Jim Sharkey

Back