What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal placement

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I’m spending way too much mental real estate trying to figure out how far forward/aft to mount my pedals. I know they are movable but once the panel goes in access will less than ideal.

I am 5’7” with a 30 inch inseam.

I initially installed them full forward but then realized there is interference on the cable and the bushing on the main spar and it also would not have enough play.

I know I can adjust my seat. I kind of wish I had my seat cushion so I can try it out being that the metal that exists now is not an accurate representation of where I’ll actually be sitting.

Any advice here?

I drilled several sets of holes to allow for adjusting, but the spacing on the side blocks is different than the spacing on the center UHMW block. So it's not as simple as sliding them back an even amount. I'm 5'-9", so I could go and measure how far from the firewall mine are, but that's still no guarantee that it'll work for you. If you can borrow some cushions from another RV, throw 'em in there and see how it fits. Or sit in someone else's RV-7 or -9 and see how their spacing works out.

Keep in mind that you can always angle the pedals a little closer to you by shortening the links to the cables--assuming you're not already too far forward. There's a limit of how much angle the pedals can go due to their geometry, but there's some wiggle room. My opinion is that it's better to have the bottom of the pedals closer to you rather than further away, as that minimizes the chance of dragging the brakes.

My plane also has the rudder bar extensions, and that's made all the difference in the world for me. I think I got them from Aerosport Products, and they installed easily and prevent brake dragging.

You hit the mark in your own post. Buy or borrow a set of cushions so you can set the pedal positions. Drill an extra set of mounting holes +/- 1" if you want to. I never used them. It is important to find the spot because the rudder pedal angles are not identical. Therefore the brake pedal angles relative to rudder pedals are different from left pedal to right pedal. Doing it correctly means make-ready corrections to prevent brake dragging can be avoided.

Just me

I did all kinds of stuff when the fuselage was at this stage to figure out where to mount the pedals.

Fast forward 3 years and as I prep for first flight, I realized the pedals were in the wrong spot. I ended up shortening the steel straps that connect the rudder cable to the pedals. I think I shrunk and inch during my build.

To answer your question, I just put the rudder bars in the middle, since I am always trying to be just an average guy...

30" inseam

I also have a 30" inseam. I put the pedals in the middle location. I'm not crazy about the location or the geometry of that location. But after 300 hours it works well or I have adjusted or both.

Back