What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal mount location

Sig600

Well Known Member
I'm 6'3" and waiting on the final mounting of my rudder pedals. I know you can drill more than one set of holes, but I don't see myself crawling under the panel and moving them that often.

Curious how far aft of the fire wall you taller guys have mounted them. I don't have the seats in, so the closest I've come up with is sitting next to the fuselage and eyeballing it.

All the way fwd

There is a minimum distance on the plans. Would recommend you go with that. I'm 6'-2" and need pedals all the way forward in 9A (same fuse).
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

Hey Sig
The tall guy consensus originating from Dan Checkoways' old site is to set the nylon block leading edge 3" from the firewall which is the min distance according to Vans and then the next measurements at 4 1/16 & 5 1/8th. Also to drill the holes, mark the angle in place then remove the angle and lay it flat on your bench. Put the block up next to it and clamp, and use the exiting holes in your nylon block to drill the holes in the angle. We have Mike Bullock to thank for that bit of wisdom. Hope this helps you out.

My fuselage is a QB, so removing the angle isn't an option.

I have the pedals assembled, but they are just sitting on the angle now. Sounds like the 3" min distance may be the way to go, and I'll drill one more set of holes forward of that.

Thanks for the inputs.

Split the end blocks

Another trick shared with me was to split the outer blocks like the center one. Make it a lot easier to remove the pedals once everything is in the plane.

Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

Another tip

When laying out multiple positions of the rudder pedals, it's much easier to avoid overlapping holes if the outboard bearing blocks have the same bolt hole spacing as the center block. I used the 3 1/2 inch spacing (which was specified for the center block) for all three blocks.

20081206-12-tn.jpg

Back