What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal extension questions (again)

engineerofsorts

Well Known Member
My cute/favorite, but under-tall pilot wife got to climb into the unfinished RV-12 cockpit and make airplane noises. The main concern she has had was the long reach to the rudder pedals. We put the upholstery in, with the seat back set in the forward piano hinge point, added about four inches of back padding, and it still looks like at least a few inches of rudder pedal extension is needed. I haven't got the rudder cables installed yet, so its difficult to tell just how much forward movement the rudder pedals have--i.e. when pushing full-right or full-left rudder, what is the clearance between the rudder pedal and the firewall? Any kind soul care to measure their sole-to-firewall minimum distance for me? I suspect, after ELSA inspection, I could add more piano hinge points to move the seat further up, but that appears to have its limits--it moves the bottom seat upholstery forward and at some point would also decrease the full back stick-to-bellybutton distance to negative values, along with giving a more-reclined seat back.

I'm working on an easy-to-snap-on/off rudder extension, so that, combined with seat adjustment/padding, we can accommodate the 6'-plus and the 5'3"-minus pilot.

The rudder pedals are about an 1/8" from the firewall when pushing full left or right. There could be some design reason that the rudder contacts its stops just prior to the pedal travel ending, so that a strong individual could not bend or break something. Adding blocks to the pedals and moving the seat like you suggested are probably the best and only safe ways.

You may want to call Van's and ask. They may have a solution.

Mop & Broom handle holder

What about using mop & broom holders to snap onto the rudder pedals? They available in many stores. The type I am thinking about are a "U" shape and several come in a package that only costs a couple of dollars. You have to force the handle into the U and the spring steel holds the handle securely.
Joe

Attachment scheme--for both pedal extenders and postings

What about using mop & broom holders to snap onto the rudder pedals? They available in many stores. The type I am thinking about are a "U" shape and several come in a package that only costs a couple of dollars. You have to force the handle into the U and the spring steel holds the handle securely.
Joe

I figured either some type of spring-steel clip or a velcro strap scheme would work. The idea was to clip an rudder/brake pedal assembly onto the vertical portion of the brake pedal. The spring clips used to hold up brooms and what not are a bit larger caliber than ideal, but could probably be massaged to the correct size.
I have a PDF drawing of my pedal extension idea, but for the life of me, I can't find the magic "manage attachments" button that the FAQ/Help says should be at the bottom of the reply composition page. Am I missing a feature, or was my mother lying to me--and I'm not really special after all?

I guess I'm not special--looks like the Posting rules say a I may NOT post attachments.

Ah--I plunked the drawing out on kitlog:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=RobertReese&project=795&category=0&log=118745&row=1

Last edited:
Pedals

After looking at your Pic on your kit log how about a simple hose clamp around the recessed area between the upper and lower pedals. Crude but effective. You could put the metal part of the hose clamp inside heat schrink tubing if you want. Or maybe Tye wraps around the same area. Or how about a bolt through the bottom pedal like the UHMW block has to hold the assembly on?

Last edited:
Need quick on/off mode.

John,

One of my requirements was to be able to slip these extenders on really quickly--ideally no bolts to insert/remove, no tools. Reasons are twofold:

1) One of these first years, I'll actually learn how to fly, but I also will have to share with Haruko as to who gets the left seat.
2) In the interim, when l get you and Colin down to Austin to enlighten Haruko on RV-12 flying, I'd like to slip these things quickly on/off your RV-12.

I'm leaning toward incorporating one or more velcro straps to hold the extenders on.

Check with ML Skunk Works

You might check with a company called M.L. Skunk Works. They already produce rudder pedal extensions for most of the RV models. I know someone who is building an RV-12 and is too short to reach the pedals. I think he contacted them regarding the possibility of making extensions for the RV-12 so they may be working on them.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.mlblueskunk.com/Rudder_pedal_Extensions.html

Jeff

Things to consider!

Rob, I think Velcro would work. Its on the same wave as using a hose clamp but more easily removable. But here is a few things to think about. One, you dont have to learn how to fly from the left seat. you could learn in the right seat. The right could be your domain and the left could be hers.:eek: Two, although it costs more $ you could get the other Dynon when you decide to start taking lessons, its easy to install afterward. That way you wont get a kink in your neck from looking left all the time.:rolleyes: No really you can easily see and reach all the controls from the right side.:p If you get this idea perfected you maybe able to sell them after market to buy the Dynon two screen Skyview in 10 Years. :D OSH is getting closer so get a move on buddy, Colin and I need a wing man next summer.;)

Rudder pedals

I completed my first attempt at rudder pedal extensions, similar to my previously posted drawing.

Pics/description in my Kitlog page,
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=RobertReese&project=795&category=0&log=119181&row=1

My undertall favorite pilot wife Haruko will need to test these things out still--guess she needs to get with JetGuy John sometime for a little RV-12 Stick (and Rudder) time.

Rob, Your rudder pedal extensions look good. I am 5'5" and sitting in Van's demo my feet barely touched the pedals. i do not want to start until I resolve this. It, as a guess, sppears I would need five inches. Do you plan on making these extensions, I hope?
Dale

I'll soon have it measured out properly

If I can throttle back the 60-hour weeks at my real job, I hope to get rudder cables hooked up within a few weeks, at which point I'll get the upholstery in, along with the favorite wife, and see how the pedals as now built work. They are about 3-4 inch extensions now. I'll post the results.

Something done by another member, was to drastically shorten or remove the rudder cable "extension links" called for in the plans, that moves the pedals up quite a bit closer to your feet. I am planning on doing that AND putting a couple of seat hinge parts on the floor in front of the currently placed ones with a backrest support extension. I am of the opinion now that those two changes will make mine reachable by me.

Something done by another member, was to drastically shorten or remove the rudder cable "extension links" called for in the plans, that moves the pedals up quite a bit closer to your feet. I am planning on doing that AND putting a couple of seat hinge parts on the floor in front of the currently placed ones with a backrest support extension. I am of the opinion now that those two changes will make mine reachable by me.

Gee Don, changing any control linkages on the airplane could have consequences...both operational and certification :(. Tread carefully.

Tony

For Sure!. I cannot determine yet exactly WHY those links are in there, except as an afterthought to put the pedals down closer to the firewall. I am concerned that they might be there to avoid bending the cables where they attach to the pedals leading to fatigue breaking.

Back