What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal alignment question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am at the point of making the steel links that connect the rudder cable to the pedals. My question is this, should I make the pedals line up or leave them in their natural offset position? I have flown planes with the twin bar system and the pedals were offset. If you line up the bottom of the pedals they will not be parallel.
Thanks!

Probably doesn't really matter, but I set mine up so that the pedal parts were at the same distance, but different angle. Most of the time you will be using the rudders, not the brakes (well, I hope you are using the rudder more than the brakes!) If you have one longer and one shorter leg :D, maybe it would make more sense to adjust the pedal positions/angles to fit.

greg

I am at the point of making the steel links that connect the rudder cable to the pedals. My question is this, should I make the pedals line up or leave them in their natural offset position? I have flown planes with the twin bar system and the pedals were offset. If you line up the bottom of the pedals they will not be parallel.
Thanks!

Make the lower bar in line.... The brakes must be parallel to keep from dragging one. If the brake pedals are not parallel, then you drilled them wrong. Go back and read your plans. The pedal assy should be swung toward the pilot a few degrees to allow the rudder pedals to be used without applying the brakes at all.

Along these lines......

....is a tip to use BEFORE drilling the pedals:

With the pedal assembly suspended from your work bench, place a 3' ruler behind the vertical rudder tubes and then bring the pedals toward the ruler, but behind it. Clamp and drill in this position to ensure that your brake pedals lean away from you slightly. This will help prevent inadvertant brake use.

Yep, the bottom bars need to be in line with each other, resulting in two different angles on the upright tubes.

Best,

Back