What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal adjustments

miyu1975

Well Known Member
How easy or difficult is it to adjust the rudder pedals in the 7? My wife is now in the process of getting her ticket and of course will want to fly from the left seat in the RV at times. She is rather short, 5'2".

ps...Vans emptied out my petty cash account today, so my wings are shipping next week...woo hoo..!

Instead of adjusting the pedals we had his and hers seat cushions made,she is 5'4 and im 6'1,her cushion is a little thicker and mine is a little thinner,i like to sit like im in a lowrider anyway.Bob and Nancy in East TN

The pedals can be adjusted but it is not easy.

When you build the fuselage you drill three sets of holes. If you want to move them, you get on your back, slide your head in there, unbolt six bolts, move them forward, and bolt them back in place. Not something you are going to do every time you change seats.

His and her's seat cushions is the way to go.

rudder pedal extensions

I'm 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam. What I did was put the rudder pedals as far forward as possible without interference with the firewall. This was to maximize the chances for passenger comfort, no matter what the size. This left the problem of reaching the rudders and brakes for me. I now have the seat back on the forward most attach point, which also increases the recline of the seat, which is even better. I have 2 booster cushions so my headset is 2 fingers from the canopy. Ane here's the kicker:

http://www.mlblueskunk.com/

I ordered custom rudder pedal and brake pedal extensions from Steve Behrends at MLSkunkworks. I had him take his existing extentions and add a 2 inch insert to make the rudder pedal standoff a total of 3 inches. He then made a separate 1 inch stand off for the top of the brake pedals. That way there's no risk of inadvertantly hitting the brakes when pushing on the rudder. They work beautifully and are really well made. I recommend his services. He is very accommodating and does wonderful work. If there comes a time when someone taller needs to fly from the left seat, 2 allen head screws per extention removes them.

Jeremy Constant

Back