What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder OOPS...

Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
I did something stupid with the rudder and I need suggestions about what to do.

I riveted the rudder together and then realized that I forgot to attach the lower rudder tip attach strips.

Drilling out the 32 rivets of the lower rib is not practical - I tried and made a mess of two of the rivets.

What I am thinking of doing is to drill eight holes each side through the skins and lower ribs between every other existing rivet, widening the existing holes on the attach strips (so that they fit over the rivets that they should be attached to), adding eight holes to the attach strips and then attaching the strips to the ribs and skins with eight new rivets.

Suggestions/ comments???

Thanks

Last edited:
Not the route I'd choose, but it probably would work. I'd build up the tip with fiberglass to make a lip on it like the top tip has, then put a 5 or so #6 nutplates in each side of the tip and screw that sucker on. Thats just me. Your solution is probably as good, but to me, fiberglass is more forgiving for what you are trying to do.

Get better at drilling out the rivets! Practice on some scrap or find someone who can show you how. You will be drilling out of rivets in your project so the time is now to learn how to do it.
Make sure you have a very solid surface and your work is clamped down and supported on the shop head side. Center punch the rivet, although not necessary when you get good at it, but it helps. Do Not drill through the rivet, only the head, and as centered and straight as you can. Use an appropriate sized blunt ended punch and gently pry/pop off the head. You can then push the rivet through or grab the shop head and gently pry it out if it does not just pop out on its own.
Once you learn, you will find you can do it easily and quickly, a lot less time than messing around with some other fix in my opinion.

Also, on the holes you messed up, you could drill out to #30 and use a CS4 pull rivet there or oops rivet. You will have those on the tip anyway unless you choose to make it removeable with nut plates. You will never notice them when you are all done and painted up.

Back