What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder nav light question

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I am about to start on the rudder and am installing an LED nav light on the lower fiberglass fairing. Has anyone had problems later plumbing the wires after the rudder is closed up. Also where are most folks having the wire come out of the rudder and going into the fuselage. You experts are awesome with the posts!!:D

I'd install the light fixture before permanently mounting the fiberglass fairing to the rudder, just because it's much easier to handle and get access. And you might even be doing some fiberglass work to mount the light (screws). Some even use screws and nut plates to remove the fairing, but mine is riveted.

I have some slack wire in mine, with single wire connectors, to allow easy removal of the light fixture. This can be done before or after the fairing is attached; as the wires can be grabbed with a wire hook.

Mine is a 6A, and it's just a white bulb, but it still applies.

L.Adamson

.......Has anyone had problems later plumbing the wires after the rudder is closed up.......
What you describe is exactly why I like to keep my options open just case I want to do some kind of retrofit later. Almost all builders pop rivet the smaller empennage tips and fairings into place. I prefer to use screws and nutplates myself. For instance, by installing the lower fiberglass fairing with screws and nutplates on the rudder shown below...potentially routing wires later will be simplified.

34yehqh.jpg

I'd install the light fixture before permanently mounting the fiberglass fairing to the rudder, just because it's much easier to handle and get access. And you might even be doing some fiberglass work to mount the light (screws). Some even use screws and nut plates to remove the fairing, but mine is riveted.

I have some slack wire in mine, with single wire connectors, to allow easy removal of the light fixture. This can be done before or after the fairing is attached; as the wires can be grabbed with a wire hook.

Mine is a 6A, and it's just a white bulb, but it still applies.

L.Adamson

Since your rudder is complete where did you run the wires out of the rudder to the fuselage? Did you drill a hole in the forward rudder spar, and run the wire down to the fairing before closing up the rudder. The construction manual doesn't give details on this. Also are your wire connectors in the fairing itself. Thanks for the ideas and pics gents.

Back