What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder movement and rudder stops

mikehoover

Well Known Member
Just mounted the rudder for the first time. Was checking the swing movement. Vans says to measure 46.125" from elevator OB tip to the rudder TE to check this. Where along the rudder TE should the measurement be taken? I guess from the bottom corner. Anyway, the rudder swings a bit more than this each way and binds with the VS skin before contacting the rudder stops. Even wants to touch the elevators when they are in neutral. Can't be right. Any suggestions and pictures for getting the rudder stops properly modified, etc? Thanks!

Try screwing the rod ends in a bit more, the rudder will "nestle" in the vert. stab better and should give you better skin clearance and you should be able to make the stops per the plans ,Good Luck, John 90586

johnl said:
Try screwing the rod ends in a bit more, the rudder will "nestle" in the vert. stab better and should give you better skin clearance and you should be able to make the stops per the plans...

Whoa, that did the trick! I just made the adjustments and the rudder swings freely from stop to stop. I had originally installed the three bearings in the VS rear spar to the dimenions on the plans. With your advice, I made adjustments to the bearings by turning the middle bearing outward one half turn and the bottom bearing one complete turn outward, reinstalled and checked the swing and rudder stop contact. Still binding on the VS skins and not quite getting to the rudder stops. So I removed the rudder, made another half turn outward of the middle bearing and a complete outward turn of the bottom bearing and reinstalled the rudder. Not quite there, so I made 1/2 outward turn on the top bearing. It swings perhaps more freely than before and hits the stops as it should. There is about 1/2" of space between the elevators' inboard corner of the TE to the rudder skin when up against the rudder stop.

Thanks a bunch, John!

Last edited:
Bottom fiberglass tip

Forgot to ask if there is any future problem to be expected once I install the bottom fiberglass tip on the rudder with respect to the rudder clearing the VS skin in that bottom area? Thanks!

mikehoover said:
Forgot to ask if there is any future problem to be expected once I install the bottom fiberglass tip on the rudder with respect to the rudder clearing the VS skin in that bottom area? Thanks!

My 2 cents -- don't bother rigging that rudder until the tips are on. You're probably very close now but you may have to adjust it slightly for things to clear.

Back