What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder leading edge

I usually leave dumb questions for Van's tech support but they are closed and I'm trying to make some progress this weekend. Does anyone know if you dimple the blind rivet closure holes at the rudder curved leading edge? I can't seem to find any specific answer anywhere in the manual or the drawings. :confused:

There is no need for the closure rivets on the control surface leading edges to be flush. They are enclosed within the stabilizer "gap seals" and are neither visible nor in the slip stream once installed.

Probably not

An easy way to tell is by examining the rivet called out for use. For example: a CS-4 is "countersunk" and you will see the bevel on the leading edge of the rivet. That would indicate a dimple should be present. A rivet like an LP3 is structural and does not have that bevel, so no dimple.

From memory on the 7 and 10, these are not dimpled.

Just did mine yesterday

No dimples... a little tricky pulling the pieces together to line-up the holes. I needed to have my son squeeze the leading edges together while I put in the clecos. Turned out very nice though. I have pictures if you're interested.

Tom

Back