What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder horn wear

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
I searched the archives but didn't see anything specific to rudder horn wear other than tail wheel spring holes. After nearly 1,000 hours I'm starting to notice the holes in the rudder horn that attach the rudder cables are starting to elongate. Opening up the hole and installing a bushing would be one fix but was wondering if others have seen the same issue and what your fix was.

Thanks,
Gary
N715AB RV7A

I searched the archives but didn't see anything specific to rudder horn wear other than tail wheel spring holes. After nearly 1,000 hours I'm starting to notice the holes in the rudder horn that attach the rudder cables are starting to elongate. Opening up the hole and installing a bushing would be one fix but was wondering if others have seen the same issue and what your fix was.

Thanks,
Gary
N715AB RV7A

A bushing should certainly work Gary. I was surprised when we built our -3 that the plans actually CALLED for a bushing (at least on one old page....it wasn't present on another newer one - such are the plans in the RV-3). So if you have access to the right bushings, I'd think it should work fine.

Paul

A bushing should certainly work Gary. I was surprised when we built our -3 that the plans actually CALLED for a bushing (at least on one old page....it wasn't present on another newer one - such are the plans in the RV-3).....
Paul

I noticed that on my kit too, but the bushings weren't included. Sigh.

I've got some 1/4 inch stainless tube that I might install for bushings when I'm ready to put the fiberglass tips on the rudder. That'll be the next time I get my hands on it.

Dave

Back