What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Hinge Brg Seized

JEG

After riveting VS1210's and VS 1211A together the 3-5 bearing became almost un-movable. Anyone else encounter such a problem? Thanks John 337J G

This takes alittle finesse. Something is pinching the bearing. The bearings should have a little drag, but not be "frozen". I would start over, drill out the rivets and take a look at the mating parts again.

There was a thread sometime ago about this giving some tips on riveting without pinching the bearings.

been there, done that

This has been a problem, especially on the early kits. Marty Santic actually used a micrometer and discovered that the bearing was thicker than the machined depth of the recess in the vs 1210's + the vs1211b. I heard Van's had fixed this. You need to drill out all the rivets and start over. The best way to assemble the units it to squeeze each rivet just a bit and then go to the rivet on the opposite side (just like lug nuts on a wheel) It you work gradually and alternate rivets you usually are ok. If you mess up the holes in the VS-1210's I have some extra's.

I had the same problem and contacted Van's. They have sent me new ones. With the new I didn't had any problems and you can squeeze the rivets in any order you like.
I also had this problem with one of the flaperon brackets. Van's corrected the problem with the new brackets but it seems that my kit had still the older parts.

Back