What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder/Elevator leading edge deburring

TJoyner

Is there a method to deburr the holes on the leading edges of the rudder and elevators..? Unless there is something totally obvious that I'm overlooking, I can't seem to figure out how to get back there after the skin has been rolled...

Thanks...

I'm going to be the heretic in the group that DIDN'T match drill these. I ran a drill through the prepunched holes, deburred and THEN bent them. Oh my...it'll probably fall out of the sky :D

I just decided for myself that whatever horrible effects there might be from not match drilling them would be overshadowed by the mess I'd make trying to debur them after they're bent. As always, do as Vans says, not as I did...

Burraway.

the Cogsdill Burraway or other similar tool is the only thing I can think of to use after the edge has been rolled. Fortunately I've got one, so I never had to think about alternatives.

I took the deburring bit out of the deburring tool and was able to spin it in all of the holes using my fingers. It wasn't pretty, but I was able to get all of the burrs off, as well as pinched fingers. Next time I would probably drill it to 1/8" then use a #30 reamer.

Thanks for the advice guys... I wanted a couple of these things anyway, so I purchased some burraway tools ($$$$$).

Thanks..!

Back