What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder dilemma

pt17

Have just finnished the rudder with not too much swearing and happy with straight trailing edge only to find that one side skin has minor "waviness" between the stiffeners when prodded. The other side is perfectly flat. I have not rolled the leading edges. I am stressing out now as I don't imagine that this is right and see that I may need to do repair work. Can anyone please provide some guidance here. Thankyou.

post a pic because this is likely normal. The large flat shiny rudder surface looks very wavy even when done nearly perfect.

OK, Don't "Prod" it then!

:p

pt17 said:
one side skin has minor "waviness" between the stiffeners when prodded. The other side is perfectly flat.

I think you are talking about some slight oil canning - and if so, yes this is entirely normal. I can't imagine you have anything wrong there. I think you are worrying about nothing. A pic would help though.

And hey, more importantly, congratulations on finishing the rudder.

Best,

Rob

Have attached image which shows dips between stiffeners. Other side is much better. Trailing edge is straight but shows up slightly distorted by photo. Any guidance is much appreciated.

rudderue4.jpg

Back