What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder - Counterbalance skin in or out?

DaX

Well Known Member
Hello. I assembled my rudder last night for the last time (I hope). After updating my log today, I got to wondering if I put the counterbalance skin on wrong. I put the counterbalance skin on where it overlaps ON TOP of the rudder skins. Is this wrong? Should the rudder skins have been on top of the counterbalance skin? I don't have any pictures, and probably won't be able to get any until Saturday. If I did it wrong, I guess I'll call Van's and see if I can live with it.

I did the same thing.

Hello. I assembled my rudder last night for the last time (I hope). After updating my log today, I got to wondering if I put the counterbalance skin on wrong. I put the counterbalance skin on where it overlaps ON TOP of the rudder skins. Is this wrong? Should the rudder skins have been on top of the counterbalance skin? I don't have any pictures, and probably won't be able to get any until Saturday. If I did it wrong, I guess I'll call Van's and see if I can live with it.

It flys just fine.

Kent

Your drawings should indicate whether it goes under or over. Look for the dotted line vs. the solid lines on the drawing.

I am not sure what my excuse is...

Thanks Kent. I won't even worry about it!

I'm familiar with reading drawings, I guess this one just slipped past me.

But when I looked at it after noticing that is was not the same as the plans, I wondered why the plans were the way they were. It sees that the air would flow over the rudder better with it on the outside.

As I said it flies just fine and no one will know that I did it backwards; unless they read this site.:rolleyes:

Kent

I don't see how it would fly better with the counter balance skin on the outside. All the counter balances are the same, I did my elevators first, so I knew already.

Back