What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder complete!

Spindrift

Well Known Member
Last night I JB welded the trailing edge, trying to be sure and keep it nice and thin. Unfortunately it didn't hold all the way down. By being careful, I managed to get the thing riveted together with minimal waviness. When I laid a long level on the completed edge, I was initially bummed about the gap in the middle. However, when I measured it, it was only .065", so within Van's 0.1" tolerance! Leading edge went much better thanks to the practice project. A little oil canning, but based on other posts, not too severe.

Next project is to build a shed big enough to hold the QB fuselage.

Dann Parks, the RV6a driver who gave me the $60K ride, said that it was finishing each individual projects that kept it from being overwhelming during his 9 year project. As I finish each part, I understand a bit of what he meant. Easy to say after only 2 months of building. :rolleyes:

Happy building to all...

Bill
RV7a HS, VS & rudder done, on to the elevators

Yes, it's the little accomplishments that add up. We are lucky with the new kits - the milestones come fast! In the bad ol' days (RV-3,4,6) there was a lot more sweating done (mistakes meant a lot more time correcting them than it costs us these days), and the little victories took longer to achieve. Imagine scrathh building! :eek:
Still, congratulations on your victory!
Oh, and Dann built himself a beauty!

Congratulations, Bill!

I'm nearing that point myself. When I "overwhelm" myself thinking about how daunting a project building an airplane is, I remind myself that I'm actually "only building a rudder [or substitute other suitable part name]" and not a whole airplane. Someday I'll have a bunch of individual parts that I will assemble into an airplane. It's a silly mental game but it beats the anxiety associated with "building an airplane"!

Good luck!

Fred Magare
Kyle, TX
magaref "at" hayscisd.net

Back